PDA

View Full Version : A couple of basic questions

hoven
07-20-2003, 10:12 PM
I have two what I thought to be simple questions and for some reason I can not find an answer on the web.

1) I know the double dots at the 12th fret represent the octive. I have seen guitars that also have double dots on I believe the 7th fret. Why?

2) I have 2 electronic tuners. One tuner calls the A above middle C 440hz and the other tuner calls it 441hz. Again, Why???

Thanks

perth
07-20-2003, 11:40 PM
the dots are purely cosmetic. some fretboards dont have them at all.

a = 440hz is called concert pitch. if everyone tunes to that pitch, then everyone is in tune with eachother. at 440 cycles per minute, 1 cycle more or less wont be noticeable to the ear. however, usually you can adjust that pitch. did you check your user manual?

Wyll_Watts
07-21-2003, 01:38 AM
for many people the dots or inlays are just purely decorative but they can serve as a visual clue when memorizing the fretboard or staying in the proper position... those two dots at the 12th fret stand out and draw your attention, it's an important place, the octave like you said.. so think, why would someone want to draw attention to the 7th fret as well? well, it's the perfect fifth of the open string, another important interval! but I doubt many people take note of that anymore, it's really not as crucial as knowing the octave position I guess and at a certain point the visual cues of the fretboard markers become more subconscious and may not even be needed at all.. I actually prefer no fretboard inlays since they seem to bias me towards certain notes at the subconscious level when I'm deep into improv...

ok, well that was alot of rambling.. simply put, the two dots draw attention to the perfect fifth interval.. but it isn't that crucial so many guitars don't have the two dots..

Wyll

Bongo Boy
07-23-2003, 04:41 AM
While it's true A440 is the standard reference frequency, it's great to have a tuner set to A441 because it gives you that 'extra something' that's there when you need it. It's like when everyone else smarts off about having their amps "dimed", but you have knobs that go to 11 and just blow 'em all away--it just gives you that "edge" we're all looking for. :D

...sorry, I couldn't help myself.