PDA

View Full Version : fretboard logic

peter_traj
07-07-2002, 11:39 AM
has anyone read the fretboard logic books by bill edwards?
if so what did you think?
Peter

Schnautze
07-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Hi Peter,

yes, I've got the edition with the 2 volumes condensed in one. In my opinion they are absolutely great. They're based in the what is called the CAGED system (give me a shout if you want to know more about this). These books really start from the beginning and they're made for someone who doesn't know anything about music but also for someone who has some knowledge of the fretboard. I've been through quite a lot of methods and this is the only one where you don't have to learn the scales by heart, well you will have to learn some, but everything has a logical point of view and it's easier to remember.

It starts with the CAGED system, then goes to the major scales (diatonic stuff), modes, arpeggios and more other scales. The volume III is a real application of the volumes I and II to lead guitar.

I bought this book because I was completely blocked with the arpeggios. I just couldn't remember all the scales for each one, and I though " it has to be a book where everything is explained and follows a logical pattern... " bingo.

Even for stuff like Pentatonics, now I play them much better. It's not the most serious book where everything is explained through intervals and music theory, it's more practical, shapes and logical memorization.

It's not based in any style of music, but it covers all of them.

Good stuff.

Hope this helps.

all the best.

szulc
07-08-2002, 03:11 PM
The CAGED system is a good starting point but your studies should include a method which gives (at least) seven patterns for each seven note scale.

Bongo Boy
07-09-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by szulc
...your studies should include a method which gives (at least) seven patterns for each seven note scale.

For a single octave or for the entire fretboard?

Please, leave it to me to ask the dumbest dumbass questions, ok?

szulc
07-09-2002, 12:39 AM
I am thinking per Octave. (At least ) One pattern for each starting note.

peter_traj
07-09-2002, 06:21 AM
could you give us an example of some of the pattern James?
Thanks,Peter

szulc
07-09-2002, 12:12 PM
What I am suggesting is you have a (at least one) pattern for each mode. I'll show most of two Modes of C major in 3 note per string form. You need to be able to figure out the rest of these.
There are other methods for playing scales, 2 notes / string per 4 note / string, yet still others that use irregular groupings 3/4 or 4/3 and then patterns that the number or of notes per string varies in an irregular fashion (like caged 3 3 3 2 3 3 scales or Greg Howe style 4 3 3 2 3 4).
I am sure Eric or Guni have already posted these 3 note per string scales.