PDA

View Full Version : I need your colaboration

rbarata
09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Hello, my friends
I will propose you a small exercise that consists in playing a small exercise in your guitar. You should play it as fast as you can play it clearly without noticeable flaws (I'm assuming that everybody can play it easily at a speed of, at least, 220 bpm).
It must be played without any effects, just a clear sound.
When you're finished, please choose your faster speed in the pool (use one note, one beat).

I'm doing this just to "calibrate" my guitar trainning because I really don't know where I'm standing, considering what's the average skills of a guitar playing. So I just need to aplly a little bit of statistics. So you will be the "population" and each of your results will be a sample.
It's just a way I've found to know "where I am" but it would be interesting for you too.
So, please join me in my (our) "experience".

The exercise (play this sequence 5 times in a row):

E|-----------------------------------------5h6h7h8-8p7p6p5-----------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------5h6h7h8-----------------8p7p6p5---------------------------------|
G|-------------------------5h6h7h8---------------------------------8p7p6p5-------------------------|
D|-----------------5h6h7h8-------------------------------------------------8p7p6p5-----------------|
A|---------5h6h7h8-----------------------------------------------------------------8p7p6p5---------|
E|-5h6h7h8---------------------------------------------------------------------------------8p7p6p5-|

walternewton
10-01-2010, 02:45 AM
How fast someone can play an arbitrary picking exercise has nothing to do with their ability as a guitarist - not in any musical sense, anyway.

Now if they can play real music (at any tempo) with good timing, tone, dynamics, feeling, etc., such that someone might actually want to listen to it - that's what's important!

rbarata
10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Walternewton, many thanks for sharing your oppinion with us... But you could have voted.
Just because you don't think it's important doesn't mean that it is not important to me.

Thanks anyway.

All_Ľour_Bass
10-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Damn are those fast!! I top out at 130 man. *hides*

rbarata
10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Damn are those fast!! I top out at 130 man.

Are you sure you're playing it at 130?
Remember I asked to play it like "One note per beat".
Aren't you playing two notes per beat?

walternewton
10-01-2010, 06:07 PM
But you could have voted.

Sorry, I don't play electric guitar nowadays so couldn't give you a useful data point.

I can tell you, though, that I doubt I could play it especially fast - probably not any faster than you can if it's something you've been regularly working on - it's not the sort of thing I practice or play (primarily fingerstyle acoustic guitar).

rbarata
10-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Sorry, I don't play electric guitar nowadays so couldn't give you a useful data point.

Ok, no problem.:)

I can tell you, though, that I doubt I could play it any faster than you if it's an exercise you've been regularly working on - it doesn't resemble anything I practice or play (primarily fingerstyle acoustic guitar).

I'm sure I don't play it as fast as you might think. One thing is play it at one note per beat, another is to play it with half notes at 120 bpm...well, in absolute terms it's the same but the way how is presented can be deceiving.;)

Anyway, I think this is an easy exercise (or, at least, a basic one) which is important to me, not because of speed but because of the technique involved which is not so easy. To play fast and correctly means that you are learnig the technique properly. But, how fast is fast?
Hence this post.:)

walternewton
10-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Well, all I'll add is that I've found speed will tend to come naturally with time if you concentrate on good technique, tone, timing etc. while practicing as slowly as it takes to get things right - which sometimes means quite slowly - don't let yourself get sloppy in the pursuit of some arbitrary "fast" tempo.

All_Ľour_Bass
10-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Oops missed the one note per beat, I was thinking 8th or 16th notes.

Note to self: Less death metal is sometimes a good thing.

rbarata
10-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Well, all I'll add is that I've found speed will tend to come naturally with time if you concentrate on good technique, tone, timing etc. while practicing as slowly as it takes to get things right - which sometimes means quite slowly - don't let yourself get sloppy in the pursuit of some arbitrary "fast" tempo.

I'm not pursuing fast speeds. My intention is just make the balance of my technique with the speed I can accomplish, i.e., in my trainning I'm focused in the technique itself but I don't have any clue about where I am regarding speed. I know that at a certain speed my technique is ok but is it fast or not?

Note to self: Less death metal is sometimes a good thing.:)

sawyerlee76
10-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I am not a regular player so its gonna be hard for me but i am not saying i cant .Let's see , It's been 3 months that i started playing my guitar. You can consider me in a beginner and if i made this then consider yourself a beginner. ha ha .

rbarata
10-09-2010, 04:37 PM
You can consider me in a beginner and if i made this then consider yourself a beginner. ha ha .

Fair enough!!:) Tell us how fast you can be.

FakeShredGod
12-27-2010, 10:00 PM

I can tell you, though, that I doubt I could play it especially fast - probably not any faster than you can if it's something you've been regularly working on - it's not the sort of thing I practice or play (primarily fingerstyle acoustic guitar).

?? Then why even bother to ADD to this thread? ?? Why even come in to add what is not relevant? :confused:

When warmed up I can do it at 160 bpm using triplets.