PDA

View Full Version : harmony and interval

Jeansen
08-06-2003, 11:05 AM
hello guys, i have spent a lot of my time practising harmony. and now i can create some of great harmonies...( crying sound etc ). but i'm still having trouble if i must transcribing harmony on the record ( you know the Marty's and Brian May's stuff ).
it seems that my transcript always wrong when it comes to the harmony.
is there any suggestion or practise or article ?

oh ya, I've read a lot about Guitarist like Marty , Satriani, etc. They said that when they making up some solos , they don't think of any scale but they use their intervals knowledge. and it happened spontaniously.
how i'm supposed to do that ? i have remembering and practise interval all the time but i can't make solos spontanious like them .. i can't even feel my interval knowledge. any idea guys?

thx

Jeansen
08-11-2003, 01:42 PM
:( :( :( :( :( why no one answered me?:( :(

maybe you don't get my question ..sorry.. then i would make it simple :
actually my question is that
1) i can't transribed a harmony..what would you suggest me to do..any great practise?

2) how can i achive spontanity ? can i achive it by knowing and practising a lot of interval?
do you have any great practise?
thx :)

EricV
08-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Question 1:
Most harmony guitar-parts you hear on records by, say, Queen, Racer X, Iron Maiden etc. are thirds. Meaning that you i.e. have a melody that goes... A-G-F-G-C
The second guitar is harmonizing that line a ( diatonic ) third above... ( key of A min ) C-B-A-B-E

Key Of A min:

A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A

The third of A is C, third of B is D, third of C is E etc.

Sometimes, youŽll also hear harmonisation in fifths ( 5th of A is E, 5th of B is F etc. ) or octaves.
Try different variations, experiment with harmonizing yourself. After a while, youŽll develop an ear for it...

Question 2:
Well, IŽd recommend to jam on records and backing tracks a lot. Try to use what you hav elearned so far. Try to get away from just playing licks and chaining them together.
Try i.e. to start with one note, and then try to imagine a melody in your mind and play it on the guitar.
It takes both some experience with intervals, some scale knowledge, and a lot of time and jamming.
My song "Hidden Creek" has a lot of that "spontaneous" playing... only the "choruses" ( over the D-chord ) were planned in advance, the rest was freely improvised, one take per verse. I also tried to stay away from playing my typical licks, and instead tried to come up with a lot of melodies in that one.
Check it out HERE (http://www.ericvandenberg.com/mp3/creeklo.mp3) ( approx. 5 MB MP3-download )
Warm regards
Eric

EricV
08-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Regarding the "experiment with harmonization" stuff... IŽd recommend to record a few simple melodies in, say, the major scale, minor scale, harmonic minor and... if ya like Cacophony and Friedman, some japanese scale like Hirajoshi.
Then, learn the harmony lines... start with octaves, then thirds, fifths, fourths ( weird sometimes... ), seconds ( even weirder ! ) etc.
If you do that often enough, you wonŽt only develop an ear for the harmonies, but also might come up with some cool stuff you might use in your own music.
Warm regards
Eric

EricV
08-11-2003, 02:09 PM
here are two examples of doubling in thirds.
No.1. is a lick I used in my tune "Angeldancer". A quick repeating pattern, doubled in thirds, key of E min

No2. is one of the choruses of "Rocknight Theme" ( V 2.0 ), doubled in thirds also...

Hope this gets you started
Eric

EricV
08-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Here it is

Jeansen
08-12-2003, 05:22 PM
thank you, Eric V
this means a lot to me. maybe it just a matter of time.

"Try i.e. to start with one note, and then try to imagine a melody in your mind and play it on the guitar"- quote

yes , i know what you mean. i've made lot of my melodies by making one great note first ( from experiment and planned ) then it started , i heard a lot of melodies in my head and i throw it to my guitar.

but i can't opened your song the hidden creek. why?:confused:

i do love Marty and i 've tried that scale sounds really good.

oh ya, do anyone know where i can find the jam tracks on the net for free? . I've never find it on the net before.
thx a lot. :)

snufeldin
08-12-2003, 05:29 PM
I've downloaded some from Kazaa... but they were all blues ones. Just search for "backing tracks"