PDA

View Full Version : Groove: From wrist to fingers

el_macleod
10-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Lately I've noticed a problem of sorts, as I've been trying to practice some of the more groovy kinds of music... I can't seem to be able to translate groove into my fingertips. I can groove alright with slapping (wrist based) but to bring it to my fingers seems to be a big issue, which sucks because I want to be able to groove with the rest of them fingerstyle and not just slapping all the time.

How do I get the groove into my extremities?

Malcolm
10-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I'd start with just the roots, of course changing with the chord changes, then as the mood strikes you add some chord tones, i.e. R-3-5-3 or whatever. Not trying to yank your chain, but, if you head is not moving the groove will never develop.

Good luck.

joeyd929
10-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Can you elaborate? Not sure what you mean because "groove" is a state of mind that extends to the fingers. So like the song says "Shake your groove thing, shake your groove thing, yeah yeah...

But seriously, not sure what you mean exactly.? Can you provide a song that explains "groove" in the way that you hope to emulate?

I am asking you because I recently started playing bass after years of guitar.

joeyd929
10-30-2010, 11:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YV5jSuv_S0

Sorry, couldn't reisist.

Malcolm
10-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Can you elaborate? Not sure what you mean because "groove" is a state of mind that extends to the fingers. So like the song says "Shake your groove thing, shake your groove thing, yeah yeah...

But seriously, not sure what you mean exactly.? Can you provide a song that explains "groove" in the way that you hope to emulate?

I am asking you because I recently started playing bass after years of guitar.

Well you can groove to any song, so one song will not have a better groove than an other, and yes groove is a feel thing.

Flow with the song perhaps is a better word. Like when two guitars are playing together and you both are augmenting each other - know what the other is going to do before it happens - that's grooving.

el_macleod
10-31-2010, 04:24 AM
Well you can groove to any song, so one song will not have a better groove than an other, and yes groove is a feel thing.

Flow with the song perhaps is a better word. Like when two guitars are playing together and you both are augmenting each other - know what the other is going to do before it happens - that's grooving.

Hmm.. I'm actually talking about that kind of bouncy, microbeat that you get once you "lock in" with the song - what I'm trying to describe is a more rhythmical thing than anything. Like how a drummer grooves...

> Joey
Hahah I'm talking about stuff like Jamiroquai, Tower Of Power, they generally have very groovy music. It's not just straight beats, it's hitting at that precise moment when you've got a feel for the rhythm and can snag that microbeat :)

joeyd929
10-31-2010, 12:29 PM
You know, I guess I've been living under a rock but I keep hearing this term "Jamiroquai", and I will level with you, I don't have a clue what this means but it is somehow associated with disco beats or something.

Would someone please shine some light under this rock as to what in Gods name "Jamiroquai" is referring to. I feel as though I should know this but I do not.

WTF in the name of @%@#$^#j Heaven is Jamiroquai ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????

el_macleod
10-31-2010, 04:33 PM
You know, I guess I've been living under a rock but I keep hearing this term "Jamiroquai", and I will level with you, I don't have a clue what this means but it is somehow associated with disco beats or something.

Would someone please shine some light under this rock as to what in Gods name "Jamiroquai" is referring to. I feel as though I should know this but I do not.

WTF in the name of @%@#$^#j Heaven is Jamiroquai ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE&ob=av2e

Michel
10-31-2010, 04:36 PM
That's a longgggggg question joeyd Lol :p

A bass groove as to have a melodic line to ;) At least for me... I like those cool groove like in "snowbound" Donald Fagen, Kamakiriad cd.

joeyd929
10-31-2010, 05:10 PM
I guess the real question is what does "Jamiroqui" have to do with donna summer music written before Jimoke or whatever? lol

Brummiejon
12-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Hmmm.....

Maybe Jamiroqui hasn't reached CT (wherever that is?). TBH, they are global superstars, check out "Little L" on youtube....
IMHO, they are not the best example of "groove" technique.

I guess the most pared down simplest example would be the bass line to "Hot Pants" by James Brown...... Two notes, but the groove is locked right in there......

Jazz drummers talk about playing "in the pocket", search "Pocket groove" on google and you'll see some very good articles that help to explain what this means........ it is all about "feel"........

I don't agree that grooves are about melody, it is a percussive, rhythmic thing, as demonstrated by the above example, the notes played are rather irrelavent. BUT, if you play a funky melody "in the pocket"...... you've got groove.

*BJ*

Tumbao
12-30-2010, 05:38 PM
It comes down to muscle memory. Your wrists are a lot stronger than your fingers. Practice with a metrognome every day and keep track of your speed. See how fast you can go on a single string then push yourself to change courses at that same speed.

Go till it hurts then stop to stretch. (don't stretch too hard though) Then start again.

This will improve your speed. Don't be upset with yourself if you are not as fast as your favorite super-star. Just be happy with your own gradual improvements.

After 20 years, I am still working on this myself! :)

Good luck

nagrm
01-05-2011, 05:59 AM
I would advise him to follow the advice of Malcolm. One of my classmates had a similar problem and our teacher told him to concentrate on roots and then slowly improve from there. He did exactly that and now he has an expert. Anyway I really enjoyed the video provided by joeyd929.