PDA

View Full Version : Scale overkill

EricV
08-11-2003, 12:45 PM
For everyone who wants to look beyond modes and melodic and harmonic minor... knock yourself out. Enuff stuff to keep ya busy for a lifetime:

http://www.justchords.com/docs/mds_asp.txt

Enjoy
Eric

PS: Ya, IŽm being a bit sarcastic :)

Zatz
08-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Eric,

I'm really determined to learn em all by heart :D

BTW, there's some useful stuff in

http://www.justchords.com/docs/ folder

- gonna take a look.

Thanks for the link,
Zatz.

EricV
08-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Yeah, itŽs a pretty good site in german language. I used to write articles for them, too...
Some kewl stuff there
Warm regards
Eric

Zatz
08-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Yea,

as I'm surfing it all thru now, it's really good!

I wish I'd been learning German better. Though it may become another chance for me :)

Zatz.

EricV
08-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Yup, Rainer B, the guy whoŽs hosting the site, really is a very dedicated guy, and the articles he wrote on playing the bass and music theory are definitely worth checking out... great stuff, well explained... if you speak German.
I recommend to stay away from my guitar articles there, they are pretty old and outdated, I cringe when I go through them... maybe one day IŽll have them updated, but right now there isnŽt enough time, and the time I have available I dedicate to ibreathe :)
Warm regards
Eric

CaptainCarma
08-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by EricV
For everyone who wants to look beyond modes and melodic and harmonic minor... knock yourself out. Enuff stuff to keep ya busy for a lifetime:

http://www.justchords.com/docs/mds_asp.txt

Enjoy
Eric

PS: Ya, IŽm being a bit sarcastic :)

thanx, but a bit to late, I recently wrote a song that features 99,9% of them.
I wish you would have posted this earlier for the 0,1% that are missing...
anyway, thanks...

;) ;) ;)

EricV
08-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Sorry... I didnŽt wanna post that list before learning, memorizing and using each and every one of those scales to make sure theyŽre listed correctly and sound good.
Once my signature-model ( a 49 fret guitar with moveable frets, transtuning system and an integrated slide bar fixed to an iron bar above the fretboard... ) is finished, IŽll surely do an album based on those scales... "Music ThatŽll Kill Yer Cat, Opus 1"
:)
Eric

Koala
08-11-2003, 06:03 PM
LOL im sure GuniŽs gonna make us learn all those in his next article....jkjk

EricV
08-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Only learn em ? HA ! Harmonize them ! Make up chord scales for each one of em !
That article will be available as a downloadable 6000 page pdf-file... if youŽve got a dial-up-modem, youŽre pretty much screwed... :)
Eric

Zatz
08-11-2003, 06:14 PM
I recommend to stay away from my guitar articles there

The whole Talking Hands Tutorial seems impressive to me. I have already trespassed the restricted area :D

Zatz.

EricV
08-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Well, you better lock yer doors at night from now on... :)
Eric

Zatz
08-11-2003, 06:18 PM
That article will be available as a downloadable 6000 page pdf-file...

I guess we'll need to breed some mutant shredders at IBreathe secret lab who will be capable of playing cool licks based on these scales.

Any musical biologists on board?

Zatz.

CaptainCarma
08-12-2003, 07:05 AM

Once my signature-model ( a 49 fret guitar with moveable frets, transtuning system and an integrated slide bar fixed to an iron bar above the fretboard... ) is finished, IŽll surely do an album based on those scales... "Music ThatŽll Kill Yer Cat, Opus 1"
:)
Eric

...damn, they promised me to be the only endorsee for this product. :mad:

B A Stone
08-12-2003, 07:14 AM
Spondeiakos

That cracks me up! Along with some of the other names.

Has anyone come up with the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious scale? :p

btw, I saved the txt.

Koala
08-13-2003, 04:27 AM
Only learn em ? HA ! Harmonize them ! Make up chord scales for each one of em !
That article will be available as a downloadable 6000 page pdf-file...

LOLOL , I was actually trying to lure Guni into the conversation. Has he given any lifesigns dyou know anythin bout him eric? ts been a while since ive seen him around.

Guni
08-13-2003, 08:38 AM
ME HERE!!! :D

Just about to read the last 1000 posts I have missed over the last few weeks. Sorry, I know I was a bit sparse lately but I have been so damn busy workwise that I didn't have any time for other things at all. But I think (hope) the worst is over and things return to normal from now on ...

What a list of very handy scales!!! I'm so disappointed that Berklee failed to teach me all of these. Maybe I would have switched to sitar and found my real calling in life by drifting away with a moody 'Naghmeh Abu Ata' :D

Bongo Boy
08-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Gunharth Lives!!!

Yes, the 'Naghmeh Abu Ata' is The One for you!

Everyone realizes of course that some lonely guy simply took every possible combination of tones & semitones, then made up exotic-sounding names for them, right?

Guni
08-13-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Bongo Boy Everyone realizes of course that some lonely guy simply took every possible combination of tones & semitones, then made up exotic-sounding names for them, right? That's how I see it as well - sure some scales will have their cultural origin - but I gave up analysing after 'Patet Barang with Pelog' - sounds more like an asian dish and I'm not a big fan of sushi ....

EricV
08-13-2003, 04:08 PM
LOL... yeah. Imagine youŽre booked for a studio session, and you show up with yer guitar and go "Ok, what do you want me to play ?"
And the producer says... "Well... uhm... IŽll have some Hirajoshi with a few slices of Dorian Pelog, with some Patet Barang sauce, and a bit of neapolitan Honchoshi on top. For dessert, gimme some Raga Sarvasri, the spicy kind... to go !"

Well, yeah, I think this list is a bit much, but hey, maybe one day IŽll go through a few more of those scales.
I have experimented with Hirajoshi, Pelog, the Hindu Scales and some others in the past, with some very cool results... but for now, IŽll stick with the good olŽmodes n`stretch pentatonic :)
Eric

Koala
08-14-2003, 02:23 AM
LOLOL! HEY GUNI! Glad to see youre alive and well! :)

And its never too late to turn to Sitar GuruGuni

hmmm guruguni, is that one on the list?

Bongo Boy
08-16-2003, 04:02 PM
Well, it's unagi o'clocki, and time to practice!