PDA

View Full Version : FLOATING Vs. ANCHORED

Shaun
08-14-2003, 02:26 AM
What are the advantages of playing the guitar with a floating hand and a anchored hand? I've heard ppl mentioning the terms and I think I'm playing with my hand anchored. What are the benefits that I would get by playing floating?

Koala
08-14-2003, 02:47 AM
Hey Shaun, i think weve talked about this on here before and this (as mostly everything else does) winds down o personal taste, some amazing shredders play anchored others dont, some hold their pick with 3 fingers, some with 2,some dont even use picks, the deal is for you to try out both of them (it takes time Eric says it took Gilbert 6 months to get used to floating ) and see which one seems better for your overall playing.

Hope this helps somehow,

EricV
08-14-2003, 01:39 PM
To me, the floating hand ( which might be a confusing term, cuz in order to mute you sometimes anchor a small portion of yer hand to the bridge ), once ya get used to it, gives me more control, and allows me to pick with equal ease on all strings.
It hardly makes a difference whether I am picking on the low or the high E-string.
You mgith get to that point with an anchored hand as well ( after all, Yngwie, John petrucci amo. play that way ), I just prefer the floating hand, seems to be more relaxed
Eric

Shaun
08-15-2003, 09:05 AM
Thanks Eric! For the info. But, theres something else I wanna ask : wont it be much more tiring because your hand is sorta "floating" a top the strings? Do you use the arm or the wrist?

EricV
08-15-2003, 10:02 AM
As I said, in between I rest my wrist on the bridge. Also, my picking hand is very relaxed, so no, it doesn´t get tiring at all.
I pick from the wrist...
Eric

The Bash
08-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Maybe a worthless point, but anchoring totaly never worked well for me. Mainly cause I don't have very big hands.

That may sound stuipd to say but I really think to anchor totally and still have equal acess to all string one would proably do well to have big hands or least long hands/fingers.

When you watch Morse or Petrucci they don't look at if there really reaching to get up to the 6th string like I'd feel I was doing.
I know Johns got that little block on his guitar to rest his anchor finger on that does elevate his hand somewhat. Course u really can't elevate the hand too much or else the 1st string would be kinna akward.

A lotta people inculding myself would anchor to play certain licks not nessarly all the time. Page/Perry/Slash all anchor there picking hand from time to time. But When I think of a Anchored Right Hands I think of Morse. That to me's a totaly Anchored hand.
Though he will let it free from time to time.

Use what ever works for you though if totally anchor be sure u can reach all the strings easily without drastically changing the postion of your hand.