PDA

View Full Version : New Member Here & First question.

Tune2B
09-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Hi all,
From BC, Canada. 19 Years old. Im Brad. I started playing guitar 2 months ago. I was looking for sites that included free lessons & this site has it all. Great website. Great forum. I am hoping & guessing great people here too. Just thought I say hi to everybody.
I am sure there are lots of exprienced musicians in this forum so I thought I ask my first question.
Is it better to start with accoustic OR should I go with electric guitar ? ( I've heard accoustic is better for begginers @ first, I am not sure about that however.)
Oh yea.. you can find my practice recordings here:
http://www.tune2b.ca.tt
Any feeback on those will be great too :rolleyes:

Zatz
09-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Hi Brad!

Welcome to IBreatheMusic!

Is it better to start with accoustic OR should I go with electric guitar ? ( I've heard accoustic is better for begginers @ first, I am not sure about that however.)

Well, we've had the same discussion somewhere sometime on our forums. I don't remember what it ended with but my strong belief is that one should start with what he's going to play most of the time.

I don't see why acoustic may be better for a beginner. It just doesn't require so much equipment but technically isn't any tiny bit easier.

As to me acoustic and electric are relative but different instruments so IMHO you just have to choose your kind first. I listened to your "1st recording" and I can tell that you tend to play electric. The theme is good for bass groove and might be redone into some fine riff later. Great that you are not afraid to record your playing. Store the stuff you play as you proceed - you'll see it's worth it cos it's full of ideas even if you think it isn't at the moment.

Good luck,
Zatz.

Shaman_Santana
09-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Yea its probly best to play whatever u feel will best suit the type of music u wanna play. Looking at your page n your recordings, u seem to enjoy metallica, so i'd go for an electric - n start grinding out some classic Hetfeild riffs! Or in time, some blinding Hammet solos (unless u plan to play St. Anger tunes!) :D

It is said that starting on the acoustic can be very beneficial to a begginner, because generally you have to press harder on the strings of an acoustic. This will help you build up your calluss' (hard skin on your fingers) quicker and so cos you are used to pressing harder on the strings, when u pick up an electric you will therefore find it easier to play. This is because generally u dont have to press so hard on an electric.

Anyways, all that is not desperatly important, id say best to just play whichever guitar u think will suit what u wanna do.

Good luck & welcome to Ibreathe; its a great site you'll be very glad you found it! :)

Tune2B
09-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Thanks the comments and answers guys. I am going to stick with electric then. I'll try accoustic later if I found a cheap guitar too.
p.s. Shaman_Santana:
Thats one the nicest qoutes I have seen..the one in your sig. :)

Anubis
09-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Hi Brad and welcome.
I have been to lots of all the guitar forums around the world and I can honestly say that this is the best one.
There's some great people here that have a great attitude and is very helpful.
It is obvious that this forum doesn't have many of the problems that I have seen others have.
You won't find much trolls here and if that's the case well try to deal with it.

Great to hear that you decided to pick up the guitar.
I have played for 23 years. I don't consider myself very good though.
Actually I hate my own guitar playing but I still have fun believe it or not.
And always feel free to ask any question you have.
There is no stupid questions even though I often feel I might ask those myself.
But the way I see it is if you don't understand something just ask.
That is the only way to learn.
And this forum is great because it has some really good and educated people.

Regarding your question.
I don't think it really matters.
Some people start on acoustic and others electric.
Both will work.
However starting to play on a steel-string acoustic have some advantages at least in my opinion.
It is a little bit harder to play acoustic steel-string then electric and therefore you will find it easier to play electric after you have played acoustic for a while.
What I often do is to practice on my steel-string because when I pick up my electric after that everything feels so much easier on the electric.

I listened to some of your recording.
I was quite impressed that you can play decent after 2 months and also records yourself.
I could not play after 2 months and I still don't record myself if I don't have to.

Good lock in your playing Brad. Just keep playing and have fun because that's what it's all about.

Bizarro
09-10-2003, 02:40 AM
Welcome to iBreathe!

Be sure to ask lots of questions and try using the search engine on the main page. The articles are excellent and the forums have covered a great deal of musical ground. :D

Wyll_Watts
09-10-2003, 03:04 AM
Hey Brad,

Welcome!
On your question, I tend to agree with the others that you should start on either acoustic or electric depending on what style you want to play... picking the wrong instrument can lead to more frustration, and when you are just starting out you'll have enough frustration as it is... some beginner classes that have many students in them might require an acoustic, but that's a pretty stupid policy and it's better to just find a personal teacher that is well versed in the style you want to play, and is willing to be tough and point at all the mistakes early on..

feel free to interact and ask many questions, everyone around here is very friendly and even when we argue it's usually very civil and mature (well.. there was those St. Anger threads.. lol )

anyways.. I'm blabbing as usual.. good luck!
Wyll

Shaman_Santana
09-10-2003, 11:07 AM
p.s. Shaman_Santana:
Thats one the nicest qoutes I have seen..the one in your sig

Thanks, its from Carlos Santana. He's definatly one of my biggest influences, not just through the beautiful music he has continued to make over the years, but through his approach to music overall - the spiritual conection he makes to it and so on. Its something i try to incorprate into my playing, i try to take a similar approach.

Anyways, your mp3's sound really good for how long u've been playing. I think i could just about strum between a few chords after two months! Keep it up man, and good luck!

Anubis
09-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Santana have said many wise things ;)

777 Universe
09-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi there,

i am from Germany and play since 6 years guitar. Now i am a member of this great forum and i hope you will understand my bad english:-))
Next time will post one or more examples of my playing.

So long, hope to have a great time,

777 Universe

Tune2B
09-11-2003, 01:09 AM
We do have great people here. So many quick and useful responds. Especially most of people here have been playing for more than my whole life. Thats just great. Anyway, I just bought a cheap accoustic from someone I knew. So now I can play both. I still play around with electric more but that being said I love the accoustic sound too. Both have their beauties. I am open to music thats why. I listen to everything ( Metallica to Bob Marley) (Operah to New Age). Any freaky music that you can think. Anyway so far this is the best thign I've done in my life. Its just amazing. You grow up listing to these kind of music. You act like you playing ( without guitar ). Now im actually able to play some intros to some of my favourite songs.
By the way what kind of equipment you guys use?
I will be getting an epiphone ( les paul ) standard soon. Leave in apartment so a small peavey rage will do for me. right now I have Stargazer JCX with prime amp.

forgottenking2
09-11-2003, 06:25 PM
And you still haven't met us all ;)

Welcome to ibreathe Tune, I'm sure you'll have a great time here.
Keep playing.

Regards,

SillyCone
09-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by forgottenking2
Great is the man that being great makes himself small, in turn, lesser man are the ones that make themselves great being small

Great quote !
Humility nowadays is a forgotten(king2 ?) vertue ;)

But the Great God of Guitar teaches humility to all of us players every day, isn't it ?

forgottenking2
09-11-2003, 08:25 PM
True! And I'm glad you liked my quote (I had forgotten who had said it :D) but it came to my mind when I had just a few days here (in ibreathe) and noticed how all these great musicians kept saying stuff like "I am posting this little solo, I know it sucks... " and when you listen to the thing it wouldn't suck at all... it's funny how as you mature you leave pride (read arrogance) aside and really become a better person, I believe THAT is one of the things that makes great guitar players so great, if you hear for instance the way Marty Friedman speaking of Jason Becker, or the way John Petrucci talks of Steve Morse, and Steve's columns (Open Ears) and so on... We all look up to someone better than us (not just in guitar playing and musicianship but in all aspects of life) and saying "I'm play better than such and such" or "I play better than anyone in this forum" shows nothing but lack of vision... when I first came in here and I read Gunni and Eric's articles my first thought was "wow!!" (yeah, nothing else, all the rest of the stuff came later when I recovered from the shock of realizing that this stuff was actually for free :D) and as I've shared doubts and as little knowledge as I can offer I noticed what a great comunity this is, how absolutely everyone tries to help you out (and if they can't they'll at least give you references to someone who can)... That's what being a real musician is all about (just like back in the day when we were nothing but wonderers playing in town to town for donations). So yeah... don't underestimate a beginner Luke even they can teach you something.

Um... Thank you and have a good day :p

Regards,

EricV
09-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Hey Jorge,

thanks. Your comments mean a lot.

And I agree to the "better person" thing. I always found it quite inspiring to read some of my favorite players comment on others.
I think itīs great how eg. Petrucci keeps plugging Morse as his main influence. I have recently seen a video from the production of SDOIT, and on one of his cabs, John had a pic of Steve ( "...for inspiration" )
That kind of respect I consider really mature. It tells you quite a bit about the person.
Warm regards
Eric

CaptainCarma
09-12-2003, 09:47 AM
hey jorge,

thanks for those words of wisdom.

you are not the first and wonīt be the last, to leave such a strong statement in the forums...

...itīs always great to see, that there are a lot of guys in these forums on ibreathe, who have a lot more to offer, than just some lightspeed licks. PERSONALITY...

I do not only LOVE this site because of all those brilliant articles, but because of the way the forumīs members behave towards each others. thatīs the reason why I come back daily.

and a warm welcome to our new members "tune2b" and "777 universe"

forgottenking2
09-12-2003, 12:28 PM
Thanks to both of you guys for real.

And I agree with you Captain (aye sir!) that's also the reason that keeps me coming back again and again.

To cut it short: This site is just great (it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out :D)

Welcome new members and keep playing everyone.

Regards,

Koala
09-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Well Brad, you already got lots of replies, so all i can say to you now is welcome to IBM

metaljustice83
09-15-2003, 02:27 AM
welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

premo1959
09-21-2003, 02:30 PM
I would recommend an acoustic for starters for a couple of reasons, you will definately develop strength in your fretting hand and fingers, you will develop callouses much quicker.

Having been playing for many a year now I also realise it helps you develop a better "ear", you don't have any amps or effects to disguise failings, just you and your baby.

I love the electric, being a disciple of funk, but for me, when you are starting out, it's the acoustic avery time

Premo