The Bash
07-23-2002, 11:39 PM
Great Job with the Solfege!
Looking forward to future posts.

NP-Steely Dan (The Royal Scam)

Guni
07-24-2002, 10:31 AM
Thanks Bash

I think that part 2 will include more major scale exercises to get to grips with the syllables. Then we will move on to minor ... etc...

Guni

PS: I just dig Steely Dan :D

The Bash
07-26-2002, 06:10 AM
I think that a great idea as I myself know I can use a little dusting on the Ole Sight Singing Chops.
Not having done it in over 10 years I'm a tad rusty (Ok I Squeak).
I can look at the music and hear in my head, or Hum, what it's gonna sound like ahead of time, and I'm good to go doing major scales or scales in 3rds, triads etc., but I need practice at spitting out the right word again when it comes to sight singing. Being able to hum it or hear it is good, but, not quite good enough.
Steve Morse makes a point of this in his new Guitar One interview.

One dumb question: I've been singing the modes so D Dorian
D is Do, E is re, F is what (I don't remember b3 is it Mae).
I just make somthing up cause I don't remember the right words for the altered notes.

NP-King Crimson (In the Court of the Crimson King)

Guni
07-26-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by The Bash
D is Do, E is re, F is what (I don't remember b3 is it Mae).
Petty close - The syllable for the b3 is 'Me' (Pronounciation is like your Mae).

Guni

Wizbit81
07-26-2002, 03:16 PM
Hi guys! I've been doing a bit of this stuff with a pretty useful ear training book. If anyone's interested it's by Gary Willis and called
Ultimate Ear Training for guitar and bass, published by Hal Leonard. It doesn't use solfege but trains interval, scale, and chord recognition. I'm still having trouble singing the minor six in the minor scale on page 8 though, grrrrrrrrrrrr!
Also, a useful tip on ear training. I got taught to associate intervals with songs that I know in order to recognise them better. Here's some associations people might find handy:
min 2nd: Jaws theme
Maj 2nd: Happy birthday
min 3rd: Greensleeves.
Maj 3rd: Oh When the Saints.
P 4th: Here comes the bride.
b5th: Black Sabbath.
P 5th: Every rock chord ever in the history of earth.
min 6th: (I dont know a song with this, find one for yourself)
Maj 6th: the "And Now" bit from Sinatras I did it my way.
Min 7th: Star Trek theme, (sad I know)
Maj 7th: (don't need a song, it so strongly wants to resolve it's obvious )
Octave: "SOMEWHEEERE" over the rainbow.

Just realised why I have trouble with the min 6th. Gonna go and find a song with it in!

N.P. - Opeth, Still Life, (excellent musicianship)