PDA

View Full Version : Recording

kloomes
07-24-2002, 07:33 PM
Hope someone can help me...

I would like to start recording some of the stuff that I am writing (mainly soundscapes, ambient stuff). The thing is I do not know the first thing about home recording. What equipment do I need? Can I get decent results on a budget?

thanks

Guni
07-25-2002, 06:51 AM
Hi kloomes,

For a first reading you can try these pages
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_build_a_budget_studio.htm

Hope that gets you started.

Guni

S.Carter
07-25-2002, 04:05 PM
I use n-track studio on my laptop, and really like it.

I plug my guitar into an Alessis nanoverb, then the stereo outputs of that into the stereo line in of the laptop. Works fine for my needs.

Steve
________
KORNY (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/KORNY)

kloomes
07-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

what do you think about the tape based recording units. I like the look of the tascam four track unit (not sure of the model). It seems like a quick and fairly easy way of getting in to recording. (i'm not a professional or anything, I would be using it as a kind of sketch board to lay some ideas down). Are these tape units any good?

Thanks

Wizbit81
07-26-2002, 03:02 PM
Hi Kloomes,
The tape units made my Tascam, Yamaha, etc. are indeed a quick and easy way into recording. I used a Yamaha MT4X for a while and that did the job o.k. for me, so if you just want a cheap introduction to making music they're pretty useful. What you have to remember is that the results you get from tape based units, (especially cheap ones), are not going to be remotely comparable to p.c. based digital recording methods. You can get programs such as Cubasis for free, add the cost of a microphone and you're away, (for less money than your four track), with the potential to use plug-in synthesizers, drum machines and a whole host of other stuff. Just personal opinion but in these circumstances I'd use my p.c, (and I do!). However, if you don't want hassle and want something you can take with you anywhere, then the four track could be the right option for you.
Hope this helped,
Chris

EricV
07-26-2002, 03:43 PM
The tape-units are pretty good and a small inexpensive little recording unit to record some ideas etc.
But honestly, during the preproduction and demoing for "Talking Hands" I learned to appreciate HD-recording even more.
Simple example: Timecodes are almost unnecessary. You know, when you record with a tape-machine, you gotta make sure itīs adjusted to exactly the right speed ( some motors tend to run too slow or fast after a while, you gotta readjust those )
Anyway, once you try to combine two recordings, you might find it difficult, because itīs possible that one of them is off pitch- or timing-wise, because the tape speed was different on both recordings.
With HD-recording, itīs a bit easier. Take the demoing of my songs as an example. I plugged the sequencer into the computer and recorded the synth- and bass-tracks that way, with a click.
Then Andy, the drummer of my band, took it to the rehearsal room and played it back from the computer there. While listening to it, he recorded the drumtracks straight into another computer ( or an MD-recorder ).
Then he burned those recorded tracks onto a CD and gave that to me... I transferred it to my computer and mixed those drumtracks to the synth-track... it all was perfectly in time, and the plug-ins available for programs like Cubase and Logic Audio these days make it easy to add good-sounding effects and i.e. eliminate noise etc.
Donīt get me wrong, thereīs nothjing wrong with tape-based units, I used to use those before, but I really recommend to experiment with harddisc-recording... itīs not very difficult to set it up if you have an average processor and a good soundcard.
Just my opinion
Eric