PDA

View Full Version : Suss?

LIChick
10-07-2003, 06:53 PM
I've seen it in notation, what's a "suss" chord?

Ads
10-07-2003, 07:03 PM
I think it means eg. a sus4
it means *IT THINK DONT KNOW FOR SURE* A suspended 4th

LIChick
10-07-2003, 07:11 PM
But, how do you play it? Sounds complicated...

Ads
10-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Whats this in context to?
You play like asus4 like any other chord.

Cuno
10-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Yep, sus = suspended, i.e. no 3rd. If you just say just 'sus' you probably mean a sus4 -- where the major 3rd has been raised a half step to make it a forth. But you can also lower the third one whole step from the major 3rd, and then you end up with a sus2 chord. See the attachement for examples. I noticed that the Gsus4 is actually a G7sus4.., since there is the note F there too (i.e. the minor 7). Just move the F (on the D-string) up a whole step to the G to make it a proper Gsus4

Bongo Boy
10-08-2003, 03:17 AM
As a general recommendation, don't forget to use an internet search engine (such as www.google.com) to get vast amounts of information on these kinds of questions. Try doing a google search on 'sus chords' for example. One reason this is valuable is that you'll find several different approaches to the definition...all within seconds.

That's important for many questions related to music theory because some answers will be very guitar-centric (which is okay), but others will simply provide a broader (and more accurate) definition that will give you a bigger picture.

You can pick up a big chunk of understanding quickly that way (and mis-understanding too, I suppose), and then come back here to ask more detailed questions about the topic. For example, if you actually do the search I just suggested, you'll find a comment saying "I love to use sus chords as 'pivot' chords when moving from major to minor".

Whooo dawwgie! Now you have a whole conversation that can take place here regarding why someone would say that, and what it means relative to the role of the 3rd in defining a chord's character.

Ain't life grand?

LIChick
10-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Ads
Whats this in context to?
You play like asus4 like any other chord.

Here's where I found the Esus:

It's from a website of guitar tabs...The song is "Wide Open Spaces":

E Esus/A E Esus E
Who doesn't know what I'm talking about

This is just the first line, but the questionable chord (appears throughout this transcription :confused:

LIChick
10-08-2003, 12:52 PM
To Bongo Boy: I'm sorry I opened a can of worms. If the Administrator wants to close this topic, that's OK.

Bongo Boy
10-09-2003, 04:16 AM
Nonsense. You asked a question. We have questions here that have spawned threads a mile long. It's why the site is here.

This is going to be one of those cases where you can go two paths. The first path is to fully understand how chords are built and named, and the notations (multiple) that are used to write them.

The second path is to simply 'look up' the chords in a chord dictionary (Big Book of Chords) to see how you can actually finger them on the guitar.

My recommendation is to do both.

So...I don't think you want to learn all the music theory in the world BEFORE you ever play the Esus/A chord on your guitar. So that's why I say do both.

Okay...now you have to understand that while the NOTES of an Esus chord may be well-defined, there are lots of ways to play that chord--especially on the guitar. It's not as though that chord has just one fingering at just one location on the neck.

So for anyone to tell you how to play it (without knowing the rest of the exercise or song) might be tough. What will be much less frustrating for you is to find some guitar music that is designated 'for beginners' and SHOWS the chord diagrams for all the chords you are to play. A chord diagram is the little grid that depicts the fretboard, and that has little black dots depicting where you are to put your fingers. Some even tell you WHICH fingers to use on which black dots...some don't.

Does anyone else have better recommendations?

Bongo Boy
10-09-2003, 04:29 AM
...again, if you use Google and do an internet search on "Esus" you'll find scads of fingerings shown for that chord. The info won't tell you why, but you'll be able to play the chord.

Bongo Boy
10-09-2003, 04:34 AM
...here's a 'typical' Esus4 (below). My understand of the notation Esus/A is that it means that the A in the chord should be the lowest note of the chord. I can't recommend how to play that, since I'm not a guitar player yet.

potshot
10-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Bongo... if the chord is an Esus4/A, I would imagine the chord would be played x02200... or perhaps, if you're feeling lucky(er) 522200, with an index finger bar to form the 222 (cos no way I could play that fingering without barring the 222).

These are just variations on the standard open E chord shape, so like you say, finding the right voicing would depend on the song. But I would give the x02200 one a try and see what it sounds like in the song.

Bongo Boy
10-10-2003, 03:43 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking...but didn't want to post that idea because I just didn't know. For LIChick in particular, look at the logic (at least at my logic) for this.

The objective is to play the Esus chord (such as the one I've shown above, 022200), but with A as the lowest note. As potshot points out, you could fret the 6th string at 5 (which is A), but that's quite a finger move from where your fingers are when playing the Esus 022200. So, drop the 6th string completely, and use the open 5th string to get your A, and simply leave all the other fingers as they are.

So...going from Esus to Esus/A is just:

022200 to x02200.

This means you lift the finger off the 5th string, and don't pick the 6th string at all to make the transition.

Make sense? Does the notation make sense?

LIChick
10-10-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks all...BongoBoy's diagram kaes the most sense to me: the E Sus/A -- looks like the A chord, shifted up a string. That doesn't sound too technical, but makes sense to me.

I also did a google search, but unfortunately 99% of what I found made NO sense to me...very technical guitar talk.

Bongo Boy
10-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by LIChick
I also did a google search, but unfortunately 99% of what I found made NO sense to me...very technical guitar talk.All I can say there is don't worry about it. You'll learn it all at your own pace, in your own way, with your own sources, to meet your own needs. It'll all happen.

Zatz
10-10-2003, 11:24 PM
LIChick,

in this thread you can find Esus4 chord in actual musical context (there is midi so you can have a real feel of it). See the post by EricV (staff screenshot)

Thread with Esus chord (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=452)

Warm regards,
Zatz.

Bongo Boy
10-11-2003, 01:24 AM
...not to mention the importance, of course, of listening to the actual Dixie Chicks recording of the song you're trying to play.

george_menhorn
10-11-2003, 01:37 AM
E Sus/A means the first inversion of the E sus chord. E sus is spelled E A B so the first inversion throws E up top to give you A B E. The second inversion would throw the A up top to give B E A and would be written E Sus/B. Guni, if I remember, had written some excellent articles on inversions along with great excercises to go with.

--
George