PDA

View Full Version : Need Speed! Need A Riff! Need Help!

Franco
10-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Honestly I know I'm not the only one who is wondering how to get as fast as zakk wylde on the guitar. I'd love to know how to play one of those pentatonic scale riffs that the good players rip off and end in a long drawn out note after they are done the riff. Could someone give me one of those to play? I need to hear it too as well as have the tab for it. Every day I just play through my scales and never do anything with them. I need some examples of cool riffs that I can rip of nice and quick to give me some Ideas of what to do with scales. I think it would be a heck of alot more interesting than playing a scales up and down and back and forth all the time. Yawn!!:o PEntatonic scales are cool but really suck if you don;t know what to do with them SOMEONE PLEASE help me this is a cry for help! I would love to have something that I could play for someone really fast and have them go WOW what was that. Then say OH man that rocked! Something quick and pentatonic. Thanks alot to anyone who helps me here.

flathead
10-20-2003, 03:07 AM
Well I suck so I can't give you a lick or anything but ........
do you have the powertab software? If not, its free and its very cool. You could download a Zakk Wylde song in powertab format to learn one of his riffs that way.
If you are asking about how to actually attain that speed, there are many good articles on this site which address that issue. The art of picking article(I think thats what its called) by EricV is one that comes to mind.

Franco
10-20-2003, 03:36 AM
Thanks man I'll check that out.

Anubis
10-20-2003, 05:19 AM
Hey Franco I can understand your frustration.
I've been there to.
I gave up on shredding so I don't worry about it any longer though.
Problem is you are asking for something that is pretty impossible.
First you say that you want to know how to play one of those licks that the good players ripps off and then you asks for examples of those so you can use them to play for others.
Well if you don't have the speed and technique yet it doesn't really matter what lick I or someone else will give you.
You won't be able to play it up to speed so...
The thing is those that really can shred can play pretty much anything that is pentatonic and make it sound good.
Personally I don' t think you should worry to much about speed. Just keep on playing and have fun.
If you want to get fast practice with a metronome.
Also remember that you can practice licks with a metronome to.
I use a metronome for pretty much anything I practice at home.
If you like Zakk Wylde check out his lessons at Guitar Worlds site
http://www.guitarworld.com/0100/framesets/lessons.html

If you need shred licks go here http://www.chopsfromhell.com/

There are no shortcuts to a good technique.
There's only one way to go and that is hours hours hours and hours of practice.
There's tons of great lessons at this site.
Check out Erics articles if you need to build speed and remember that it won't happen over a night.
Patience Young Skywalker ;)

Franco
10-20-2003, 05:23 AM
Yep you are absolutly right. There is no other way. I will now practice my *** off to get faster. Thank you.

hellogoodbye
10-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Franco
I would love to have something that I could play for someone really fast and have them go WOW what was that. Then say OH man that rocked! Something quick and pentatonic.
I'm afraid your trouble is (and will be) your attitude: you are completely focused on the RESULTS your playing will get you, and not the playing ITSELF.

It seems to me you don't really love the guitar and the music. If you'd REALLY love your guitar and making music you would have been able to do a lot more than just jam with your friends over 4 chords, after 5 years of playing...

You say 'Yep you are absolutly right. There is no other way. I will now practice my *** off to get faster', but with no real love for the guitar and the music you will be never be able to keep that promise. Playing the guitar needs a desire for the guitar and the music itself. Practicing is extremely dull and boring and hard to keep doing if you only do it for one WOW you will (maybe) get in a distance future...

And what if you DID have a killer lick? What would you do if people said: 'Nice, play some more!'...? Play the lick again...? The WOW would wear of pretty quick...

My advice: get a new haircut and some cool clothes. That's a far more easier way to get those WOW's you need so badly.

Hm, that all sounded a bit harsh... ;) Didn't mean to kick you in the dirt or something! ;) But you should think about what I said because there is a possibility your guitar will never give you what you want, and it would be a pity to invest a lot of time in it for nothing...

Anubis
10-20-2003, 11:18 AM
hellogoodbye wrote:
It seems to me you don't really love the guitar and the music. If you'd REALLY love your guitar and making music you would have been able to do a lot more than just jam with your friends over 4 chords, after 5 years of playing
After 23 years of playing there's not much I can do on guitar.
So this means I don't love my guitar.
Sorry people but this is a sad day.
Me and my guitar( guitars actually) is getting divorced :(
We can't have a relation since there's no love between us.

and it would be a pity to invest a lot of time in it for nothing
Now I'm really depressed :(

hellogoodbye
10-20-2003, 12:13 PM
O dear, I'm getting the impression my previous post is bit misunderstood.. ;)

All I wanted to say was that the initial poster only wants to know a good lick to impress his friends. But if that is all, he never will have the needed urge and desire to practice for years and years in order to actually GET this reaction.
Hm, this still doesn't sound like what I have in mind, but English is not my native language, so I don't know hot to say it properly...

Anway, what I said can't be just turned around, of course! If you cannot play a beautiful superfast solo (where superfast absolutely doesn't mean it's automactically beatifull!) after 23 years, that doens't mean you didn't love the guitar or it was all for nothing! If you are still playing you apparently love it! You like what you do! But THAT'S what I question by the poster: I wonder if he likes what he does or does he only do it to get appreciation? If the latter is the case I don't think he will become a good guitar player because thats not a good base to work on. I doubt if he will still play guitar (guitars actually ;) ) 23 years from now, like you do.

Well... it can be pretty hard explaining some things in another language... Do you get what I mean or am I still talking rubbish...? ;)

Let's try it another way...: he really wants to be able to play a super lick. If he wanted that because he loves the music and the guitar he should have been able to do that by now: he would have found the time and the info and evereything else needed to get that lick. But because he wants a cheap WOW reaction and isn't interested in the beauty if the lick itself, he still doens't have it because the right drive isn't there.

Better?

Anyway, I'm just thinking this all up of course: I don't know the guy! These were just things I thought when I read his post... ;)

Maybe I shouldn' t have reacted at all. But since I made a promise to myself never to edit or delete things I (might) have done wrong on all the fora I visit, you'll have to deal with it... ;) Who knows, someone might learn from my mishaps...

Franco
10-20-2003, 09:59 PM
I think the problem is that I am getting nowhere with my practising. I need something to spice the idea of playing a scale over and over again worthwile. And I guess I am looking for the outcome too fast. It's pretty sad that I have to actually tell you guys this but I guess I'm looking for other people who have gone through what I am going through. I got to a point where all I did was play chords and I little bit of picking in between and now that is what I am used to after 5 or so years. It was great but now I want to further my guitar by learning the picking end of things. The whole wow thing was a little childish I agree but I need some sort of path to follow here and I am looking for someone who has already gone down it so I can follow them. Well I hope that clears things up a bit. Thanks again guys

Danster
10-20-2003, 10:22 PM
hello hellogoodbye:D

I think you did a fine job explaining your point in your first post (I wouldn't have guessed that English was not your native tongue). I kinda felt as you did after I read Franco's first post (now comes the however :D). However, I think it is common for us homo sapiens to want to be able to share stuff with others, and have them appreciate it, be it music, thoughts, or other stuff. While I do find it satisfying and therapeutic to play music, I do hope to be able to "spread the joy" to others too eventually. And I dunno since I've never been on a stage with a guitar, but I suspect that the charge you get from playing before a responsive crowd is greater than or equal to that that you'd get from hearing yerself play. My point is, I don't think it's a negative to seek that "wow" from others when they hear you play.

goodbye hellogoodbye:D

hellogoodbye
10-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Okay! Clear! ;)

Well, if you need a path to follow... get one! That you've come to this conclusion is a good start: knowing you need something else is very good!

I think the best advice I can think of now is to get a copy of Troy Stetina's Total Rock Guitar. (See www.stetina.com or for a straight link http://www.stetina.com/pops/totalrock.html) It's a book that shows you ALL the tricks of the rocking trade by learning a lot of nice (original) instrumentals (in very different but always rocking styles).
Troy says it's the rock guitar study book for those who don't like to study... ;)
It's not filled with boring exercises but teaches you to play the rock guitar through the songs (although you really have to study on the songs in order to play them: they get harder every lesson!).
Songs are written down in TAB and music notation and the book comes with a cd with band left and guitar right so yo can get rid of the guitar and play along yourself.

There are a lot of other books, of course, but this is the only one I can think of that teaches you everything you need to know about ROCK guitar in such a pleasant (and quite quickly satisfying) way!

Edit:
In case the link is down... here is a snap from the site:

Total Rock Guitar is a comprehensive source for learning rock guitar, designed to develop both your lead and rhythm playing simultaneously. It starts at a simple beginner level with "one-finger" chord shapes (check out "Hair Rock", the first song-clip above) and progresses gradually to advanced playing, covering all rock styles with a special emphasis on today's current trends.

The 74 minute CD includes 22 songs with full backing band. That's right twenty-two songs! (See below.) This method is unlike any other. Instead of simply incorporating the music within the method, here, the music IS the method. Author Troy Stetina has gone to great lengths to slip all the hallmarks of an effective course right into the songs themselves, so you just learn the music as presented and all areas of your playing will gradually improve. In addition, you will gain a broader understanding as to what makes the different styles stand apart from one another. Music theory is explained as needed. Includes standard notation with tablature, plus chord grids and scale diagrams. In addition, picking and fingering indications are included throughout.

Covers: Getting a Tone, Open chords, Power chords, Riffs, Scales & Modes, Licks, String Bending, Strumming, Palm Muting, Harmonics, Alternate Picking, Accent Picking, Keys and Tonalities, Blues progressions, Rock Comping Patterns, Shuffle and Sixteenth-Shuffle Grooves, and more.

Just give it a look.

BTW Getting lessons might help too, of course. Just pick one that suits your style...!

P.S. If anyone knows a better book (well, for Franco's guitar future, I mean! We are not interested in The Lord Of The Rings or Catcher In The Rye now... ;) ), post it, please!

Franco
10-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Thanks. I'm a visual and audio learner any videos that you suggest?

hellogoodbye
10-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Danster
hello hellogoodbye:D

I think you did a fine job explaining your point in your first post (I wouldn't have guessed that English was not your native tongue). I kinda felt as you did after I read Franco's first post (now comes the however :D). However, I think it is common for us homo sapiens to want to be able to share stuff with others, and have them appreciate it, be it music, thoughts, or other stuff. While I do find it satisfying and therapeutic to play music, I do hope to be able to "spread the joy" to others too eventually. And I dunno since I've never been on a stage with a guitar, but I suspect that the charge you get from playing before a responsive crowd is greater than or equal to that that you'd get from hearing yerself play. My point is, I don't think it's a negative to seek that "wow" from others when they hear you play.

goodbye hellogoodbye:D
You're right, of course. I also like it when people like it when I play! I'm human too! But that WOW shouldn't be the only thing, I think... not, if you really want to progress in your playing. The WOW alone isn't enough then to keep you going for more. But... enough about that: as you can see in the last posts in this topic, thanks to (I think... and hope...) my reaction, Franco is finding his way towards a good looking path with a bright future! ;)

And tanks fur the complimant on me Enklish! :D

hellogoodbye
10-20-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Franco
Thanks. I'm a visual and audio learner any videos that you suggest?
Hm, well, to be frankly... I haven't seen much videos, but almost all I've seen showed me someone who was just showing off how good he was. Leaving me awfully frustrated... They show you a lot of stuff but don't really tell you HOW to do it.

(Books usually are more clear and imformative about that: more background info and explanations and so on. But I wouldn't get a book without audio, because it's pretty hard just to read from music or tabs what is meant exactly. And hey, how can you learn music without listening to it!)

But maybe someone else knows some REAL good videos...? I'd like to see a GOOD video too for once... ;)

Anubis
10-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Franco wrote:
It's pretty sad that I have to actually tell you guys this but I guess I'm looking for other people who have gone through what I am going through
Well trust me when I say that everyone at this forum have been there and many still is.
I still feel the way you do many times and I have played for 23 years.
In my opinion this feeling is not a bad thing really even though it might feel like that.
What we have is a good example of someone who is improving and is concerned about how to get better all the time.
I would be worried if you were happy with everything you played and didn't feel like you want to learn more.

What you need to do is to put yourself through different tests.
What I mean by that is that you must really learn things and then play it over a backing track for example. Learn a song you like. Get a backing track for it and make sure you can play the song all the way through. That is what I call a test and will prove if you have learned something.
Can you play a solo over a backing track?
It doesn't matter if it's improvised or if you play someone else solo note for note just make sure you can actually play through the solo pretty good without mistakes.
Also when you play solos make sure you know what you are doing.
Analyze the chord progression you are playing over and see what scale or scales you are using.
I don't know if you play with a band but if not try to get into a band.
If you can't do that get lots of backing tracks because that is the closest you can get to the real thing.
Playing over backing tracks and practicing with a metronome or a drum machine is essential for any guitar player.
Also read articles. There's tons of well written and very helpful articles at Ibreath for example.

You also asked about videos.
I own more instructional videos then what I think is healthy.
In my opinion instructional videos isn't very good for teaching.
I use them more as an inspirational tool even though I do learn from them.
If you want to improve technique I would say John Petruccis Rock Discipline is one of the better videos.
If someone ever needs some sort of review of an instructional video feel free to ask.
I own most videos out there.
I haven't even watched them all.
Yes I know it's crazy but this is what happens in the information society we live in :)

Franco what are some of your favorite bands/guitar players?

If someone is ever looking for backing tracks they should check out this site.

http://www.licklibrary.com/

This book for example is probably good for rock guitar players.
http://www.licklibrary.com/productinfo.asp?pcode=X1064&pid=875

I am very familiar with Jamie who did the book.
I subscribe to Guitar Techniques magazine.
Jamie has done lots of lessons over the years for that magazine and he's a great guitar player that really knows what he's doing and he is great at explaining things.

SillyCone
10-21-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Anubis
If you want to improve technique I would say John Petruccis Rock Discipline is one of the better videos.
Agreed. Even though I'm far from the level I'd need to start practicing with it (playing for 6 months mainly bossa nova :) ), the quality of the technical side of things is IMHO the best available. Also he doesn't stumble every 2 words like most others do :D

Originally posted by Anubis
I own most videos out there.
I haven't even watched them all.
Yes I know it's crazy but this is what happens in the information society we live in :)
I know what you feel... I too have the IAS (Information Acquisition Syndrome, // to the GAS). Since I actually started to read and watch what I'm getting, I'm getting much less of them, you may try it ;)