PDA

View Full Version : open position scales

peter_traj
07-29-2002, 12:28 PM
hi guys. i have found myself a guitar teacher that also specializes in theory and i have had my first lesson. i am a bit hessitant to question him on his approach to teaching just now so i thought i would ask you guys the question.he has tabed out every major scale in the OPEN position.ie;open,1st,2nd,3rd,4th frets. is this a common thing to learn?? is it useful? i am used to playing scales in box positions and not using open strings as i think this is more useful in actual playing situation. what do you guys think??
se ya, Peter

szulc
07-29-2002, 12:39 PM
These should be similar to patterns you have already learned if you have learned 7 patterns ( one for each starting note). It is very much like choosing a starting note and playing all the different modes from that root. If you distill these open string patterns you will find they are very similar to the mode patterns you are alredy familiar with.
The open string patterns are going to look like modes shifted a bit from the second fret. This is a good practice. I'll bet some of the patterns are taking advantage of open strings. This is yet another way to look at it.

What will help the most is to sing the note and name or scale degree (Solfege) as you play these. It will help you understand the sonic relationship of scale degrees to the root.