PDA

View Full Version : How do I play F#m ????

Gary172k3
11-13-2003, 02:20 PM
I am tryin to learn to play Oasis - Supersonic, and there is a chord called F#m in it, and i looked it up on this chord chart, and it has a picture and dots where u put ur fingers.... but it has 6 dots spread over all the strings, and i dont understand how u can play it???

SillyCone
11-13-2003, 03:22 PM
First of all : Welcome to IBreatheMusic !

For your F#m (F# minor chord, I assume), you have to place a barre with your index finger on the 6 strings. As I'm certainly not the best to explain it all properly to you, here is a link to an article on Cyberfret complete with photos : http://www.cyberfret.com/chords/barre/index.php

Don't hesitate to browse cyberfret for all their beginners lessons, you'll learn loads of things there. You can then come back on IBM (or do it in parallel) to understand what are intervals, chords and scales with Guni's great articles :
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/learn/subcat/1

Read all the articles on that page, starting from the last (else you won't understand a thing), about intervals, then chords, then scales. And if you're motivated, modes... But one thing at a time :)

Ok, with all that said, you should have enough material to practice and play for a few weeks :)

Cheers,
SillyCone.

Danster
11-13-2003, 03:25 PM
I reckon the most common way of playing this is to barre the 2nd fret with your first finger, and then fret the 4th fret on the 4th (D) and 5th (A) strings with the pinky and ring finger respectively. The barring of the 2nd fret means you lay your whole finger across all six strings on that fret. So that takes care of several strings at once. Otherwise you'd have to fret this chord with six fingers, right? Hope that helps.

Gary172k3
11-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks alot i know how to do it now !!! =D

Koala
11-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Hey Gary, welcome to IBM! Just wanna add that thats only one way to play it on the guitar neck. You can play every chord in lots of different positions!

Again, welcome

Bongo Boy
11-14-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Gary172k3
Thanks alot i know how to do it now !!! =D ...and ain't that Grand? Just remember where you got the love and support, eh? :D :D

Koala
11-14-2003, 03:56 AM
LOLOL Bongo... single again huh? LOL:D

Gary172k3
11-14-2003, 05:00 PM
:( I thought I could do it, but i cant stretch my ring and pinky finger over AND barre wif my other finger, i tried it last nite and i nearly broke my index finger, i cant think of any other way to play it, sum1 help !!!

Danster
11-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Gary172k3
:( I thought I could do it, but i cant stretch my ring and pinky finger over AND barre wif my other finger, i tried it last nite and i nearly broke my index finger, i cant think of any other way to play it, sum1 help !!! Barre chords are tough for a lot of people (me included). Here's what I would suggest. Do the same fingering, but somewhere up on the higher frets. For example, barre the 14th fret, and fret the 4th and 5th strings at the 16th fret with pinky and ring finger (incidentally, that is an F#m also if you use those particular frets). Up there at the higher frets, the stretch won't be as far. After you practice it on the high frets awhile and get good at it up there, move the same fingering down the neck to the lower frets gradually (like over several days or more), kinda like what Eric suggests in his current "Workout" article. That'll get your fingers used to stretching. Good luck!

SillyCone
11-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Danster
Barre chords are tough for a lot of people (me included).
Me too, me too :)
Actually, barre chords are known to be the beginner's nightmare :)

Follow Danster's advice closely and don't despair : it can take many weeks/months to develop the left hand muscles in order to barre correctly. Don't force. If it hurts, either you have to change your hand position to diminish the tension (not so much force is needed) or your muscles are too tired. In both cases, stop playing barres immediately, you could hurt yourself badly, and end up with one of the many affections a player can get (tendinitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc). It took me 3 months to barre an F maj chord in 1st position without pain for more than a few seconds, and after 6 months of playing guitar I still can't switch fast enough to that same Fmaj barre chord at 100 bpm... But at least I don't feel any pain anymore when playing them.
Do a few barres every day, in a few weeks you'll see a difference already.

Cheers,
SillyCone.

forgottenking2
11-14-2003, 06:40 PM
It's kind of obvious but it helps if you gain flexibility in your fingers, in order to achieve that there are tons of excercises you can try, I particularly liked some mechanical atonal excercises that John Petrucci showed in Rock Discipline, it not only stretches but helps to gain finger independency. You basically take your 1 2 3 4 exercise and put one finger per string-one finger per fret (index on 4th string 1st fret and pinky on 1st string 4 fret) play those notes making sure all 4 ring, then invert the middle fingers,invert the outside fingers and finally bring the middle fingers back to the postion... hmm this sounds confusing, here is how it goes:

e---4-----4-----1-----1
B---3-----2-----2-----3
G---2-----3-----3-----2
D---1-----1-----4-----4
A-------------------------
E-------------------------

You'll always play 1 with your index, 2 with your middle, 3 with your ring and 4 with your pinky, I used the first position 'cause it's easier to visualize you may wanna try this in the higher frets though.

You can also play this excercise it in different string groupings.
Now the actual stretch comes, move your index 1 fret down, and do the same permutations of the original position, then move your middle one fret down and so on until you end up with the original position exactly one fret below. That's a good stretch (specially in the lower positions).

Vai also shows a variation of this exercise on what he calls "string angles" or something. But that's more focused on your picking hand...

Anyways, I hope this helps.

Regards,

Gary172k3
11-14-2003, 06:42 PM
:) cheers for the help, ill try it out and let ya know how i get on :D

mjo
11-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Hey Gary
A simpler way to play that F#m , barre just the top 3 strings @ the 2nd fret.
Now fret the 4th (D) string @ the 4th fret with your ring finger (3rd finger,right?). This may ease the strain on your hand.
Having said that , I'd definately heed the advice of preceeding posts- "forgottenking2" has a good excercise (I think this guy knows his "stuff") and don't damage your hand , use the excersises.

......good luck!!
Mike