PDA

View Full Version : Just another scale and mode question

flathead
11-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Okay here's the thing I don't get. Lets say I want to write a song about 'Flying thru outer space' or 'Mountains' or 'Goin insane' or anything like that where I can visualize how the song should sound. Thats all well and good but how do I play what I hear in my head. What scales express what emotions. Is there a resource or book or something that says 'you use lydian scales for outer spacey type sounds' for example.

Man this music stuff is hard.

mjo
11-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Hey, flathead (cool "handle", BTW)
Aside from the old "major is happy, minor is sad" type thing, I can't imagine that any books would be available for this. It seems like it's too subjective a topic.
.......Now if you want my opinion :
"flying through outer space"; thats whole tone
"mountains";....pentatonic, don't ya' think,......(or was that hepatonic?):rolleyes:
"going insane"; that's gotta' be chromatic, with your best speed chops.

What do ya' think ? am I just "out to lunch"....- melodic minor :)
...........have I misunderstood ?......locrian :D

:cheers
Mike

The Bash
11-27-2003, 04:50 AM
Good question, however I think the only person who can truely answer it, is yourself.

There's an Old Steve Vai Interview (If I happen to run across it I'll post his answers) where he talked a bit about what moods various modes conjured up in him. All I really remember is Mixolydian being kinna like spring time, at least to Mr. Vai.

So actually I might suggest you ask yourself that question as u play through diffrent modes. What do u hear. How does it make u feel. What images pop up in your head. For example Dorian makes me think of Santana. Not exactly an emotion maybe but state of mind. If I'm playing a Dorian tune I generally try to get into Santana mode. Though it really depends on the song.
The Allmand Brothers did a lotta Dorian stuff that reminded me nothing of Santana. So how u play it or what type of progession u play it over can perhaps change they way u feel about it.

As far as Way out there trippy stuff I generally just make something up. Course its nothing brand new. I tend to think in terms of what sounds fit my need so if I toss a #3 into a Pen Minor scale in place of the b3 it's cause it fits my need at the time.
Ok, there's actually name for that but I tend to do it a lot without really thinking about it. So if I want a sitar kinna thing I over or under bend notes and chose notes that echo what I hear in my head.

Anyway point is the scale/mode means whatever it means to you.
Everything u do will affect u personaly in a certain way.
If u opt to toss in a #5 for no other reason than it sounds good then that will affect u in a personal way.