PDA

View Full Version : singing scales and arrpeggios

peter_traj
11-29-2003, 08:06 AM
hi guys i am back to ask a question about singing scales and arrpegios.my teacher is so adamant that i be able to sing all scales and arrpeggios that it is making me sick.we have spent the last 6 months doing this and slowly but surley i am able to do it but when i ask him, how will being able to sing any arrpeggio or scale from root to root and back help me in a musicall situation?he cant explain well enough. he says when it is in your head you will be able to create melodies with it.i cant see how!
melodies are not created from root to root playing,(cause they will sound like scales).melodies are made with the scale notes played in random.i cant sing the major scale notes randomly but if i could it would sure be much more helpful in a musical situation than being able to sing from root to root. can someone please explain??? thanks guys
Peter_Traj

szulc
11-29-2003, 11:45 AM
You need to be able to HEAR the scales and arpeggios in order to be able to use them as your musical pallette of 'colors' to choose from. I don't think random is a good choice of words for what you are trying to say. You want to be able to improvise or create melodies that are pretty, the execrcises he is having you do will help with that.
In order to create melodies first you need to HEAR them in your head, next you want to be able to execute them on your instrument. Your voice is much easier to use than some unattached guitar or other instrument, so it is natural that the next step after HEARING is singing. Eventually you will get enough technique to play the things you HEAR on the guitar.

Singing scales root to root reinforces the concept of tonal center.
I also believe that you should sing every exercise you play on the guitar.

peter_traj
11-29-2003, 09:04 PM
sulz,you are a good man.
if only my teacher could explain things the way you do. thanks mate.that makes a lot of sense.
thanks again.
Peter

SeattleRuss
12-01-2003, 03:20 AM
Hi Peter!

Be glad you have a teacher that makes you sings these things. This is all part of ear training, and while I don't *force* my students to sing, I definitely encourage it.

SeattleRuss
Guitarist, Instructor, Assembler
http://www.russletson.com

DanF
12-01-2003, 04:44 AM
Along the same line as what Szluc said (though it might sound a little contrary). Singing forces you to hear things. In a way it is more difficult than a piano or guitar because you have to be able to hear the note inside and "create" it. You can't just plunk your finger down on a key or fret/pick and say "Yep, that's a C" there are a lot of guitar players who can put their fingers in the right places but can't actually hear what they are going to play before they play it.

I'm working on it also, having a keyboard makes it a bit easier (fingering and being in tune wise). Keep at it, sounds like you're on a good path.

sweetious
12-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Hey man, I have a little two cents as well... when you are singing scales and arpeggiated chords, are you using solfege(do re mi fa so la ti do)? Not that that is neccesary but it helps to have another way on top of just sound to rember those intervals, my teacher uses hand signals as well whenever we are singing so that I can se her hand and know the syllable of solfege and hear the note... Also practice two note melodic intervals as well (i.e. do- so- do, or do mi do the goal is to be able to hear all of the other twelve notes (including the octave) against your tonic so that when you are improvising or composing you know in a flash the notes that you are hearing so that you are not just playing some scale that you know over the chords of that key or mode but your actual ear is leading you and you are able to play whatever you hear instantly. Another reason for developing your aural skills is so that you are able to learn easily even if somebody just plays something without telling you what it is you can identify it and reproduce it, very handy for learning a new song, or understanding and hearing what someone is doing when normally you might say "wow that was awesome, but what did they do? But the more you focus on your "inner hearing" you will know what someone did when it might normally be confounding to your ear. hope this helps at least a little.

bagman
12-29-2003, 09:37 PM
This is a great thread.

3 weeks ago I started lessons. I've been playing around for about a year and can screw around with the blues and rock. Then I was jamming with this guy who only played from the real book and said he could teach me the changes.

So i started. The first thing he teaches is me to sing the scales through the circle of fifths. This is actually done 3 ways first scale note, second singing the actual note and third the doreme etc.

Now we're singing arpegios through the circle of fifths.

I really just wanted to learn how to play like Peter Green but after three weesk with him i see that he will really teach me the theory behind the music.

He's cool he ends the lessons by picking any song from the real book and making me play scales and modes. It's tough but kinda coming together.

Thanks for the info

bagman