PDA

View Full Version : One more thing about picking...

EricV
08-05-2002, 06:53 PM
OK, one more thing Iīd like to add about all the picking stuff and about the way of holding your pic... it might be helpful to angle the thumb of the right hand.
You see, usually you put your thumb onto the pic, and the thumb is kinda straight. But it might be helpful to angle it a bit... itīs tough to explain and I donīt have a digital cam, but try this...

Hold up your right hand, with all fingers straight, and look at it... the inside of your hand turned towards you. Now, angle ( bend ) your thumb so its tip is pointing towards the middle of your hand. Thatīs what I mean with angling the thumb.
So, if you hold your pic and you angle the thumb, you might find that you have a better grip on your pick, and it might help you to improve your picking speed a bit.
Players like Paul Gilbert do it that way.
Eric

szulc
08-05-2002, 07:20 PM
I lay the pick on the side of my index finger, so it is perpendicular to the finger nail.

Point with you picking hand index finger lay the pick on top of your index finger pointing the same direction as you finger is pointing. Now curl your index finger and grip with the thumb.

jazzIII
08-06-2002, 11:38 PM
Thanks Eric, for the thorough articles on this subject. It's not exactly an ignored topic, but your articles did shed some light and provide good examples that others can benefit from. I'm sure many others here appreciate the work you've done. ;)

EricV
08-07-2002, 12:09 AM
Thanks a lot... glad ya liked it...
Eric