PDA

View Full Version : resetting up a tune-o-matic

exp extremist
12-13-2003, 04:08 PM
hey there guys!
while changin strings on my somewhat aged (and customized) gibby gothic exp, i managed to stupidly knock the intonation height screws (the ones actually on the guitar, not the intonation piece itself)... and now i have no clue how to reset the guitar up. i live out in the middle east (doha, qatar) and there is absolutely no where for me to send the geetar to be set up for me. :mad:
thanks for your help and advice dudes!

DanF
12-13-2003, 05:33 PM
For Guitar Tech questions I usually look here: Guitar Setup Tips (http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm)

The tune-o-matic stuff is under "Adjusting string height" but you may want to read the whole page, lots of good info.

-Dan

szulc
12-14-2003, 01:40 AM
The intonation screws adjust the distance between the nut and the bridge. The Height adjust ment screws are the one you are talking about.
These are adjusted to give the guitar the correct 'action' wher your strings are close enough to the fingerboard so as to not be difficult to fret, yet high enough to not 'buzz' or fret out.

The procedure is pretty simple, string it up and tune it, if the strings are too high lower them by turning the screw clock-wise if they are too low raise them by turning counter clock-wise.

What you are looking for is to lower the bridge to the point at which you start to get fret buzz, then raise it back up just slightly to keep it clean sounding. Then you intonate it by, adjusting the screws that move the bridge saddles towards and away from the nut. If the 12th fret is sharp compared to the 12 fret harmonic the string is too short between the bridge and the 12 fret so move the saddle towards the bridge this would be clock-wise looking from the tail pof the guitar, else if the 12 fret is flat compared to the harmonic the string is too long so, turn it counter clock-wise.

This is a somewhat tedious procedure but it is much easier with tunamatics than floyd roses.

szulc
12-14-2003, 02:05 AM
Someone with the authority should move this to the GEAR thread!

exp extremist
12-14-2003, 04:09 AM
sorry guys, i wasnt sure if i should put it here... cause i feel like a newb right now (even though i've been playing guitar for 4 years, 2 years electric)

Bongo Boy
12-14-2003, 05:48 PM
I only wanted to emphasize a point szulc already made: the screws you're talking about aren't really much to worry about, and they have little or no impact on intonation. You should be able to rassemble everything then adjust the screws until the height of the strings above the 22nd fret look about like they do on a similar guitar with similar strings, etc. At least that's a good starting point.

Bongo Boy
12-17-2003, 06:25 AM
Okay, so that was my logical reserved side. My emotional, dramatic side would say, do anything you can to replace the bridge with anything but the Tune-o-Matic.

My total disdain for the Tune-o-Matic can't be described in words. I think the designer of that thing should be shot with a ball of his own s**t at close range. Just my unabashed opinion, of course.

exp extremist
12-17-2003, 11:07 AM
as you feel for the tune-o-matic... i feel for the floyd. hmmmm.... its worth it tho.