PDA

View Full Version : New Members Introduction Thread

szulc
12-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Since the beginners thread and others are getting cluttered with introductions maybe we need a thread dedicated to this.

Bongo Boy
12-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Not a bad idea. It seems you might be able to run a script that would delete all threads in such a forum that had not been posted to in over, say, 6 or 12 months. Call it "Introduce Yourself", perhaps.

szulc
12-14-2003, 04:43 PM
What really annoys me is all of the posts to the wrong threads!
I assume that our posters can read but many do not take the time to read the forum name or description before posting. Then they post to the wrong threads. Maybe we should have a mandatory pick list to make a conscious decision to post to a specific thread in stead of just letting you reply.

Bongo Boy
12-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Yes. It's especially surprising in light of the fact that we have a forum entitled 'Miscellaneous Chat'. A nice feature would be one where an admin easily just drag-and-drop an entire thread to another forum, without leaving a 'this thread moved to...' stub in the old forum. If each of the participants in the original thread saw the moved thread as a new (unread) one, they would then automatically know its whereabouts.

This is also (I think) a symptom of have a forum entitled 'Beginner [anything]'. The idea I mentioned long ago prior to the first reorg was that this isn't a topic category--it's more of a category of poster. That makes it not parallel in structure to the other forum titles which describe topic areas.

My other views at the time were that: a) it's very subjective as to whether one is a beginner or not, b) we're all beginners when it comes to certain topics, and c) it leaves the forum filled with just about any topic whatsoever. That's why a gear question shows up there--because the poster knows it's a basic question.

I think a forum called "Where to Start" or "Often-asked Questions about Where to Start". This forum would be entirely read-only topics or perhaps even just one single post related to each of ther other forums. Then, everytime someone asked how to get started with music theory, we just send them to this proposed forum.

I'll try to outline what I'm thinking in the next day or two and post it here. I think it would work well.

Bongo Boy
12-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Here's what I was thinking (see image below).

The 'Where to Begin & Other FAQs' forum might begin with just one single pinned thread of the same title that includes the following text:

Welcome to ibreathemusic.com. Many newcomers to the site may want to know a little about how we operate before choosing to join and participate. Also, many members join because they have a lot of questions about getting started in music.

This Where to Begin forum will help you find the answers to many of the most frequently asked questions about where to start with music theory, instrument and equipment selection and practice. Please feel free to begin by looking the rules we've adopted to make ibreathemusic a more useful, enjoyable site.

I. ibreathemusic.com Rules [a link to the existing rules]
II. Where do I Begin with Music Theory? This could be a brief description of how the articles are to be used, plus [links to the music theory articles we repeatedly reference]
III. Where do I Begin with Practice [links to the how-to-practice articles by Eric and others]
IV. Where do I Begin with Selecting Instruments & Amps [I don't know about this one..maybe it's a future feature]

After this pinned thread, maybe even move all of the 'where do I begin' threads from the other forums here. :D Pity the soul who gets THAT job (I'll volunteer).

Danster
12-15-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by szulc
Since the beginners thread and others are getting cluttered with introductions maybe we need a thread dedicated to this. I'd think that perhaps we could have a whole forum devoted to new member intros, seeing as how we get about 5 new members per day.

Bongo Boy
12-26-2003, 07:50 AM
I think Eden's suggestion to merge Announcements with Suggestions & Feedback is a good idea to help consolidate with a very low probability of confusion.