PDA

View Full Version : fakebook lead sheet guidelines and lotsa questions

cicimemo
08-15-2002, 10:28 PM
Hello there !

i have to play a tune, a jazz standard entitled "How insensitive" by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Okay, I have the leadsheet, but there's somethings missing ! I dunnow what to do next,
First of all how am i doing to play the chords, theres no rhythm notation, then where's the structure of the song, that's quite hard to grasp, and then where will the solo go ?
There are melodies written, over chords, i mean, see i am totally confused, i need help, and please do ..!

Thanks,

Memo

ps: one more thing, a friend of mine said, due to copyright reasons the "fakebookers" write some notation wrong on purpose, that didn't make sense for me since the title is the same
but, what do you know, that is a weird world we're livin in with lots of strange people, anyway, thanks again

Guni
08-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Hi Memo,

First of all check out this thread: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295 A different tune though but the approach is the same.

a friend of mine said, due to copyright reasons the "fakebookers" write some notation wrong on purposeWell, this might be true to a certain extend ..... important to have in mind is that we are talking about a leadsheet here and not a strict transcription. A 'leadsheet' is a rough guide on how a tune is knitted and it can be changed and interpreted in many ways....

Laterz,

Guni

Bongo Boy
08-27-2002, 12:11 AM
for cicimemo: have you been following the other thread Guni pointed to? I'm now looking at 'How Insensitive'--my book has it in F--how about yours?

And no--if the idea is I can purposely change some notation of a tune and avoid a copyright infringement, that's nonsense. What folks do who write fakebooks is, they interpret the music just as anyone would, then write what they feel meets the requirements of a good fakebook. Chord changes, etc., are selected to meet the needs of the intended audience and give the general feel of the tune. I've noticed some books are aimed at making the tune easy to play, even if they have to sacrifice something musically.

In any case, what would be the "right" notation for a jazz standard (especially a jazz standard)? I don't think there is such a thing--based on my very limited knowledge, the term "cover" has less meaning, I think, in jazz than elsewhere. So, the idea of a right way to play or write a jazz tune is a little fluffy.

Keep in mind I'm a 3 month-old in the world of music (and don't know squat). Oh, but wiat...there's more:

I did a WinMX search for How Insensitive, and found several interesting renditions--couldn't get them all but here's a sampling of what's out there:

Wes Montgomery
Pat Martino (try to get this one--it's wonderful)
Earl Klugh Trio
Pat Metheny and Antonio Jobim
Antonio Jobim and Sting (!)
Doris Day
Sinead O'Connor
Frank Sinatra, and, oh joy, ain't life grand:
Leonard Nimoy and William Shattner