PDA

View Full Version : Reading Music

Guila
01-04-2004, 05:26 PM
i have a huge problem at reading music. but i want to study that but i don't know how. any ideas?

metaljustice83
01-04-2004, 05:54 PM
pick up beginners music book and start crackin, thats the only thing I can think to tell you. But I'm sure someone else will have ideas too. Remember that you need to practice routinely, you won't make much progress just practicing once a week. good luck.

I recommend Guitar Method Basix.

EricV
01-04-2004, 06:20 PM
My recommendation: "Music reading for guitar" by David Oakes, published by MI Press.
Great method, starting with very easy stuff. Lots of good exercises.
Should be available at Amazon
Eric

Germboy
01-09-2004, 07:13 AM
I don't have any books to recommend but I can give u some personal advise. Remember the notes in order of the lines...E,B,G,D,A,E. You need to memorise this in order to go further.

hol0point
01-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Heres how I started to learn how to read. The spaces Between the lines are the notes F A C E and the Lines themselves are the notes E G B D F. Ok so remember them like this..

FACE: Just remember the word face to remember the notes in the spaces.

EGBDF: Every Good Baby Does Fine

Remembering those simple things has stuck with me and I will never forget it even if I stop playing guitar so hopefully this will help you out.

------------------------------F
E
------------------------------D
C
------------------------------B
A
------------------------------G
F
------------------------------E

After you memorise the notes goto this site for deeper instruction on reading. Use the first dropdown and the first 5 or so lessons are on reading.

http://www.musictheory.net/index.html

hol0

JeffN
01-12-2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by hol0point
Heres how I started to learn how to read. The spaces Between the lines are the notes F A C E and the Lines themselves are the notes E G B D F. Ok so remember them like this..

Hey!

EGBDF is Em9

And F A C E is Fmaj7

Coincidence? :)

SeattleRuss
01-12-2004, 04:59 AM
Well, er...

EGBDF is Em9

the thing is, that F natural would be a b9 against the "E" tonality, and I don't think I've ever heard / seen a minor chord with a b9...

I think your heart was in the right place though!

Russ
http://www.russletson.com

hol0point
01-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Ok. I disected what you said there.. And I see how you got that EGBDF and FACE are Em9 and Fmaj7. But whats the coincidence? or is there one.. :confused:

JeffN
01-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by hol0point
Ok. I disected what you said there.. And I see how you got that EGBDF and FACE are Em9 and Fmaj7. But whats the coincidence? or is there one.. :confused:

Sorry, I just reconized the chord tones :)

Back on topic though. Although it's kind of on the bottom of my 'to do' list now, I've found that once I got going with sight reading, I was looking at the interval relation from one note to another, rather than reconizing that this note was F and such..

forgottenking2
01-13-2004, 06:30 PM
I can sight read fairly well, except on certain rhythms or time signatures... I have no problem with odd rhythm signatures, such as 9/8 and what not but where problems arise are on fairly simple stuff like, 8th notes falling on the upbeat in cut time (2/2) or dotted 8th notes or dotted 16th notes... it makes me so mad, I working my way through it (I just realized that problem <I had been so busy trying to get even 16th note tripplets pattern up to light speed that I had neglected that aspect of my playing>) but it's going painfully slow, any sugestions on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

davidvanhalen
03-14-2004, 11:25 AM
hey, i now how to determine the key when i see something, i always use the circle of fiths, but in powertab it's shown different than how i learned. for example: for the key of e mayor its 4 sharps and thats ok but for e minor its one sharp ?.. my question is, do the system changes for minor keys or its a bug in the problem?

please help me cause it is hunting ma down

fatmouse_au
03-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by davidvanhalen
hey, i now how to determine the key when i see something, i always use the circle of fiths, but in powertab it's shown different than how i learned. for example: for the key of e mayor its 4 sharps and thats ok but for e minor its one sharp ?.. my question is, do the system changes for minor keys or its a bug in the problem?

please help me cause it is hunting ma down

E minor (natural) is the relative minor of G major (i.e. both scales contain the same notes). The key of G has only one sharp - the F#, therefore E natural minor does too.