PDA

View Full Version : Songs to concentrate on

Lowthorpe
01-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Hi all, I'd like some help with song learning :D
I've been playing about 5 months now and I'm looking for some solos and riffs to learn that would be a challenge for me, to better myself. All of the songs I know, are pretty simple riffs, simple solos, so I can't claim to knowing any great songs as of yet, I'd say the hardest song I could play so far, is Jimi Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary (upto just before the solo starts).

I know a few things scale wise, as I've been working on improvisation for a couple of months, I know 3 positions of the minor/major pentatonic(s), and I haven't studied the theory behind this much yet so I don't know what I'm talking about here, but I know the G Ioninan, B Phrygian and D Mixolydian scales from my teacher (Not well enough to improvise, well enough to play reasonably fast up and down). As for rhythm, I know some simple power chord riffs from songs, or some bar chord sequences that I can play alright.

Any suggestions please? :cool: I'm a blues/rock guy myself but I'm not restricted, I love to try out new genres and bands styles so any suggestions welcome ;)

Thanks,
Nick

flathead
01-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Well I'm sure someone will give you better advice than me but why not just learn a song or solo that you really like?

But the first things I've learned was some AC/DC stuff. Back in Black, Highway to Hell, You shook me, all that classic stuff. The riffs may be pretty simple but they sure kick a$$. The solos are all pentatonic based stuff.

And the second things I learned was the old Metallica stuff. I didnt really learn the solos, (but Anubis says they're easy :D ) but the rhythms are sure awhole lot of fun to play. Fade to Black, One, Seek and Destroy, For whom the bell tolls, The four horseman, And justice for all....etc

And of course there is always Stevie Ray Vaughan who will give you a lifetime of pleasure. :)

hol0point
01-08-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm trying to learn Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here right now. Its pretty tough but not too tough. I've only been playing a year or so self taught so we way be around the same skill level. But yeah, thats a good tune to learn. One piece of advice that I got here many many times. Pick a song and finish it. I used to just play little bits and peices of bunches of songs.. Looking back it kinda was a waste. Knowing a song all the way through and playing it well can be a tough project but well worth it.

EricV
01-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Very good point. Itīs really important to learn songs all the way through... if the solos are too hard, at least learn the rhythm guitar all the way through.
Itīs pretty much the next best thing to playing with a band / other musicians
Eric

Lowthorpe
01-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the replies ;)

I'm an AC/DC fan, and actually, a huge classic rock fan anyway ;) I've learnt a few riffs but never thought of the AC/DC solos, for some strange reason :O I'll give them a look ;)

hol0point, I know exactly what you mean about finishing songs, after learning "a little lick from this song" and "part of this solo" and "this riff right here" I've realised that it'd be better to have learn't the whole song, which is what I'm going to try to achieve ;)

Any other suggestions, keep them coming, and muchos thanks :cool:

Nick

Edit: Didn't see EricV's post ;)

Well, 2 of my friends play electric guitar, 1 plays bass and we've met a drummer so we sometimes stay after school at the music room to play some stuff together, mainly to practice improvising over chord sequences because we haven't realy learnt a song together. That could be due to the fact that the 2 electric players are sort of "silently" arguing over who gets to play lead (which is pretty silly realy), and the bass player is into different styles of music. I know, theres not exactly the best chemistry between us, but we still get a few tunes out, and it's only temporary ;)

Gunnan
02-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Songs that realy helped me, especialy rhythmicaly

Are last dance with mary jane ( tom petty ), casey jones ( GD ) Jessica ( allman brothers )

I myself have been playing somewere in the range of 1 to 2 years and have noticed that I can learn some real complicated riffs from songs that I love listening to which might help my fingering or give me some new ideas to play around with; but doesnt realy help me understand or apply ( example you mentioned the hendrix song, I know a good portion fo Hey Joe, up to the solo as well though, same with purple haze, same with, parts of little wing, and each one of these songs tought me something but not near as much as learning one quick change 12 bar progression., guess what im trying to say is.. if your looking for a song that you realy wanna learn something from, perhaps finding a basic one that incorperates some of the things your trying to pratice, as an example for me I have been trying to work on my A minor scale so I found a riff that fits the scale in this case the exit jam to Stairway to Heaven Am G F and put in one of those wholenote jam track maker things and just practiced playing diffrent patterns over it, then slowly improvising, and adding little portions of the chords.. Then from there ill figure out another part of the song, I guess this entire message is just trying to emphasise that if you pick a song, stick to it, go through it in individual parts and alwayse be thinking about the way it sounds and the way you would want yourself to sound when playing it standing on a stack of marshals :) have a nice day.