PDA

View Full Version : Utensils, silverware, knives and the kitchen sink!

crimson.hammer
01-14-2004, 02:50 PM
OK. Just to let you guys know, never place all of these things together in the and try to grab them at once.

Needless to say, my right index finger is rendered useless due to the tip of my finger almost hanging on by a "thread".

Ugh, just as I was starting to get a real 'needy' thirst for developing too! AAAAARGH!

So now I must ask you exprets out *there*

1. Left hand practice >>> Since I can only use this hand only now, are there any exercises that I can to to help the accuracy of my left hand without the use of my right?

2. Theory >>> I would love to use this time that I am spending healing developing the theory aspect of it. In particular I would like to apply the use of intervals (3rds, 4ths, 5ths, etc) in relation to the fretboard. By this I mean if i finger a D on the first three strings, I would like to know that the first string F#, the second string D, the third string A, and the fourth string D are in what relation to each other.

By the way, typing with one hand su su su sucks!

Oceano
01-14-2004, 03:04 PM
That sucks for sure.

You can work on legato stuff, and arpeggios "Satriani style" where you hammer all the notes going up and coming back down. I do a lot of these type of arpeggios because I like the way it sounds, in fact, you can apply that technique to most arpeggio shapes. I recommend you reach over with your right hand and rest it at the nut so as to mute the strings a little, or get one of those elastic things people use to tie their hair and wrap it around the guitar nut, it works very well.

Also, like you said you can spend more time on theory.

Oceano
01-14-2004, 03:26 PM
You might also want to try playing lead with your thumb, or thumb and middle finger. I do that a lot too. Many great players play lead with their thumb and index, or thumb and middle finger.

Also, when playing slide guitar I prefer to pluck the strings with my fingers as opposed to a pick, to me it sounds warmer.

Just some ideas.

Sometimes trying different techniques and approaches, leads to writing stuff you wouldn't normaly write and maybe discovering a type of playing that you realy like but never tried before.

Koala
01-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Hey CH i am really sorry to hear that man. But still I believe you can practice lots of things with your left hand, as oceano said you can go for legato passages and riffs. This will definitely strengthen your left hand quite a bit. I also know if i was in your place id prolly end up holding the pick with my themb and middle finger, so guess you could give that a try.

For studying intervals i recommend you dive into Guni´s Interval paper, and then go through this little quiz I wrote.

Hope this helps you out, and get well soon!

Koala
01-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey CH! I just saw the paper still has a couple tiny flaws, but its alright , just ignore where its says revolver roots, and where it says NECK DIAGRAMS DRAW PERFECT INTERVALS 3 ROOTS it means you should draw the perfect intervals with the E, A, and D strings as roots.

mjo
01-14-2004, 04:37 PM
OUCH !!!
I tried to loose my right index, twice. Yes, I still have it.
While it was bandaged and throbbing, I held my pick with my middle finger. I got so used to it, that I continue to play that way. That technique has drawbacks, though.
There's still plenty you can work on (as stated above), that bandage does get in the way, though.

Best o' luck !

Spin 2513
01-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Sorry to hear that , too .

Try holding the pick with your Thumb and middle fingers , you should be able to play that way with a little practice

If it were your left hand , there would be nothing you could do ..

Good luck with it .

crimson.hammer
01-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all of the responses guys. it really helps.

To let you know hwere i stand is that I have just completed the d.l. burge relative pitch first lessons on the perfect fifths.

Koala would it be okay if i returned the responses in that quiz for you? I have been going over guni's interval article about once every two weeks, to try to cement some of this stuff in. But it would really be nice to 'know' if I am on the right path.

I have printed them out and I will take them to work tomorrow and work on them there (i am a teacher and I have no students tomorrow :) so i can spend my spare ;) time working on this.

Thanks again guys...

Koala
01-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Sure thing CH id be more than glad to check it out for you, just drop me a private message and ill send you my email. Oh yeah, that interval paper still needs some work, so youll hafta draw the guitar necks yourself :D sorry bout that.

Lemme know when youre ready, and good luck with the hand!