PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pitch

The Dude
01-14-2004, 08:05 PM
I have recently purchased David Lucas Burge's Perfect Pitch course and I was wondering if anybody here had ever used it or knew of anybody that had used it and had something to say.

It was just out of interest, anybody that I've known to have tried it before had somehting good to say. So just wondering if you guys had anything about it.

flathead
01-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Check here.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157

Spin 2513
01-15-2004, 12:21 AM
... The guy in the Red Sox , this year seemed to have it .

NickGenious
01-15-2004, 06:24 PM
I've started using the Burge course. I've found it helpful. Before I was really tone deaf, and couldnt sing a note in tune. Now I'm better, slowly improving. My singing of single guitar notes is in tune now. What I do is keep my electric tuner near me (which has an in built mic), and play my guitar note, stop it ringing, then sing. I use my tuner to check if im in tune. I'm not following the Burge course religiously, but instead, the idea of it... i.e., listenning to the qualities of each note, and trying to gain an association. thats the only real secret of the course.

I'm also trying to combine this with Guni's solfege, which is also quite useful.

check out this forum for other opinions:
http://www.perfectpitchpower.com/perfectpitchforum/index.php

Nick

Spin 2513
01-16-2004, 05:49 PM
I worked on the relative pitch , part of Burges course , it had alot of interval memorization , with flash cards , as i remember .
It's a crash course that will really improve your ear .

Something which is not mentioned about intervals in the course much, yet, the guys here mentioned it on a few posts about intervals , is; what common songs you allways hear, and the intervals, and chords they start out with . for example , star spangled banner , starts with a major 3ed from a regular major chord , etc , etc .

Maybe you guys know some, and can list them below .

The Mechanix
01-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Hey dudes, here are a few songs that I use for the intervals, though you`ll probably recognise them in your own favorite songs, which`ll be easier to remember.

octave - somewhere over the rainbow
Minor 6 - Love Story
Perfect 5th - Twinkle twinkle little star
Flat 5th - Master of puppets, Pretty Tied up
Major 3rd - Sepulnation (also Oh when the saints)
Minor 3rd - Greensleeves

I cant remeber any of the names of the other songs, for a major 6th, I always think of an abba song (I think) that was covered by Boyzone that goes "I had a dream......." Im sorry, but my mum used to play it alot when I was young.

Lots of people say "Startrek" for a minor 7th, but I`ve only watched startrek about twice in my life, so I really dont know the theme song.

Descending intervals I find much harder.

There is a descending Minor 3rd in the beginning of the american national anthem (Oh - o - say can you see). If my ears are correct!!

Stay Metal

Mechanix

ChrisJ
01-19-2004, 12:33 PM
If anyone is interested I have an article up on my site that explains perfect and relative pitch and also gives some tunes to help identify the specific intervals:

http://chrisjuergensen.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/ears_article.htm

-CJ

zeppenwolf
01-19-2004, 04:58 PM
M2 Happy Birthday, Silent Night, Major Scale, everything

b3 Greensleeves

M3 When the Saints Go Marching In, On Top of Old Smoky, Do Re Mi (Sound of Music)

P4 Here Comes the Bride , Amazing Grace , Mozart thing

#4/b5 Purple Haze; Maria

P5 Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Love me Tender

b6 Love Story, The Entertainer

M6 My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, Love Story (end phrase)

b7 Star Trek

M7 ???

julianj
04-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi,

Can anyone offer any more good songs to help remember the tritone and m6 intervals. These are the weak ones for me. I've really found the using songs helps but some songs just leap out and work more than others and I could do with a few more examples for these two intervals to find ones that really work for me.

Ta.

zeppenwolf
04-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Can anyone offer any more good songs to help remember the tritone and m6 intervals. These are the weak ones for me.
Do you not recognize or not know the ones I listed? ( m6 = Love Story, The Entertainer by Scott Joplin) ) ?

A tritone is also the sound of a European automobile horn: BLAAAP! :) Once you get the hang of the tritone, I don't think you'll really need a song for it; it's perhaps the easiest one to get familiar with.

Eden

Dommy
04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
The NBC theme is good for both M6 and P4. N to B is a M6, and N to C is a P4

julianj
04-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes I am familiar with the songs you already mentioned, I just wandered if anyone had any more. You know some songs I just find easier to use than others. Greensleeves is a really good one for m3, and now that you've mentioned the star trek theme I don't think I'll ever get a m7 wrong again.

ashc
04-06-2004, 01:56 PM
For M7, which is a tough one, best I can offer is to sing the first three notes of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, it goes up an octave then down a semitone landing you on the M7 compared with the first note. You can get there easily this way to get used to how it sounds but it's difficult to do directly without that step (or at all maybe) ...

Mike7771
04-09-2004, 07:13 AM
I also have the David Lucas Burge's perfect pitch course as well as the relative pitch course. It really did not help me much. The relative pitch course was better. His idea is valid and it works, but itís more of a trick than it is a useful skill. I really think the perfect pitch series is just a marketing ploy to get people hooked; the real ear training tools are in the relative pitch course.

julianj
06-16-2004, 01:22 PM
OK - I think I have melodic intervals going upwards sorted now. What I need next is songs to help me with melodic intervals going downwards. Hears what I have so far (not guaranteeing they are correct):

m2: fur elise
M2: Chopsticks, agado (black lace)
m3: star spangled banner
M3: tocatta

The song Crazy by Willie Nelson seems like it should be useful as it has a few slightly different descending intervals. They seems to all be around the m6, M6, m7 area (to my ear - which isn't perfect otherwise I wouldn't be doing this :rolleyes: ).

Can anyone fill in the gaps for me?

julianj
06-16-2004, 01:33 PM
I think M3 going down sounds like a doorbell and P4 sounds like a sort of train station tannoy/PA.

julianj
06-16-2004, 01:36 PM
silly me, I just found the following thread which is exactly what I'm looking for

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4424

Morbid
06-18-2004, 11:45 PM
I have not ever come across anyone who has "developed" perfect pitch at adult age. I wonder if its even possible to develop perfect pitch (the real thing, not using tricks) when your an adult. If anyone had they would probably be glad to tell about it and how they did it. Has anyone else heard of anyone doing this? If not lets kill the myth and save lots of money by not buying those bogus courses.