PDA

View Full Version : [Help] How to close the windows "Auto preview" function ?

anotherbbs
01-29-2004, 12:04 PM
When I select a file (movie or pic) the windows explorer always load the file and preview it . This will slow my PC and may cause system crash . Do u know how I can close this function ? Thanks

:)

Guni
01-29-2004, 06:47 PM
iBreatheWindows ??? :D

I know this can be turned off in the Registry somehow. You might wanna check out a site like http://www.tweakxp.com.

Guni

anotherbbs
01-29-2004, 08:27 PM
"Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it's supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it's finished.

Simply do the following steps:

1) Open a command window (Start->Run, type in 'cmd' hit enter)
2) To remove image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
3) To readd image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
4) To remove media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
5) To readd media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shmedia.dll

Simple."

But it seems that my Windows2000 still try to preview .mpg files .... :(

EricV
01-29-2004, 08:42 PM
I have XP toio, so I donīt know whether this will help but... check out the preferences of your IE... in the advanced preferecnes, there should be an option to switch of display of videos in the sidebar...
Check it out, maybe it works for W2000 too
Eric

anotherbbs
02-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by EricV
I have XP toio, so I donīt know whether this will help but... check out the preferences of your IE... in the advanced preferecnes, there should be an option to switch of display of videos in the sidebar...
Check it out, maybe it works for W2000 too
Eric

Thanks EricV ,U are always helpful :) .

I've really found are option in the "multimedia" section , but I don't think that make any effect on windows explorer ,but only on IE media bar ...

by the way ,i am using win2000