PDA

View Full Version : my breakthrough (sight reading)

Oakleaf
02-19-2004, 04:25 AM
this month has been good to me as far as music is concerned. I just thought i'd tell you about my discovery. It actually occured to me while i was working through eric's scale lesson, which was great.

So here it is. Sightreading.

Up until now whenever I tried to sight read it had been a very long and difficult process of looking at the note on the page, looking at a picture of the fretboard with all the notes on it, looking for it on the fretboard, peiceing it together witht he other notes on two note licks, and then repeating for the next note. lol

But then I was playing through erics lesson and it occurred to me that when I sightread play piano and sax I dont really look at the note.

i look at it...
First as an interval to the previous note i played.
And then I read weather it is out of the ordinary signiture. (accidentals)
and then i read how long i need to hold it.

So then i applied this to guitar. I started looking for intervals on the fret board. and i noticed that they were consistant from one string to another, with the exception of the G to the B string-which happens to be only a half a step higher on the G string.

So now i can read almost as well as i can on piano or sax. Since it's only been a week, i feel rather good about it.

So that's the lesson i learned, sightreading- intervals, not notes (though you find you will get to know your fretboard better than ever if you are sightreading)

I hope this may help someone, even if i'm not so fluent.

forgottenking2
02-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Congrats man! Keep it up.

oRg
03-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Good job...I'm horrible at sightreading...absolutely horrible. I'm working on it though.