PDA

View Full Version : Ear training

alchong
05-03-2002, 06:57 PM
Hi i'm al, from singapore. Guitar4u was really great, Thanks to you guys. I picked up alot from there.

The last time i surfed on ibreathemusic, theres a ear training section, is it taken off for good?
What about the music test previously in guitar4u, is it gonna be transfer over to ibreathe?

You guys are awesome!
-Al-Signing Off- With Respect, Keep Rockin~

Guni
05-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Hi Al,

Thanks for reminding me - I started a thread last week about this but I honestly forgot to finish it.....:rolleyes:

The beta test of the eartraining tool is still online at http://www.planc.co.uk/ibrmusic/

We are collecting all the input we got from this test and now, after iBreatheMusic is online we are going to review this tool and some other tools that are already in planning. (Hope Clive, our design guy isn't panicing now :-).

Same with the harmony tests ..... They are going to be redone and packed into some kind of an app.

Guni

metallibeast
02-10-2003, 12:11 PM
What's up?

Howz the ET thingy coming along? is it gonna be coming back up online anytime soon?

What about the harmony tests that you talked about Guni?

-Beast

Guni
02-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Hi guys,

Yeah, it has been quite some time since this post..... I really didn't have the time to dig deeper into this but lately I undusted the old ear training tool and started to work on it again.

It still needs a lot of backend programming but I hope that I will be able to release the first beta version soon.

And once this is on the road I'll plan to apply the system to other tests, like harmony, etc ....

Anyway, here's a first preview: basically it's an interval trainer with a few options. Also, please remember that this will come together with a documentation on how to use such a tool.

Quick description: At the moment you can select individual intervals (within an octave) you wanna go through.

Then you can set options to speed, direction, autoplay or manual 'next interval', set a timer, enable 'error checking' to be able to re-listen to an interval if the answer is wrong, and set a certain number of intervals ya wanna go through.

Answers can be given either by using the mouse or the number pad on the keyboard.

Your results and settings may be stored on the server to keep track of your progress - also for comparison to others.

The tool will be supported by a special forum in order to discuss the tool itself and give set advice.

Furthermore, there's the idea of offering a certificate, by going through predefined 'tests'.

Well, I guess that's it so far :D ... your input is very welcome!

Guni

metallibeast
02-10-2003, 03:22 PM
What's up?

I think it would be a great idea to include triads, seventh chords and seventh chords plus tensions.

Anyway, I have checked out juz about all of the ET programs out there. They usually include chords as well.

-Beast

Guni
02-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Hey beast,

Intervals are just a first step of these tools - they are the building blocks for everything else. Overall, you have to think of this one as a little piece of a bigger picture - chordal ear training, harmonic ear training, rhythmic ear training, etc ... that will come after this initial one.

Just wondering: What's your favourite ear training program out there at the moment?

Guni

metallibeast
02-10-2003, 04:08 PM
What's up?

Currently I usually do ET with my friends in college. I dun use ET programs anymore.

The programs out there are somewhat not easy to use, some I juz can't get the midi to work, some I juz simply dun know how to use.

I do recall that there is a ET program online thats somewhat similiar to what u are doing...its calls Good-Ear. (http://www.good-ear.com) The only bad thing about it is that its not downloadable. Its actually pretty good...if I had to choose this would be the one. Its straight forward...easier to use you juz gotta choose the things that you wana do and ya on ur way.

-Beast

Guni
02-10-2003, 04:15 PM
yeah, thanks for that ...

Guni

WaterGuy
02-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Guni,

The interface looks great, and being able to vary the speed and direction is excellent. I also like the idea of being able to track your progress (although my ego might be bruised by the comparison to others ;) ) The straight interval training is the best first step, then harmony, chords and rhythm can follow. I've only just started ear training in earnest, and look forward to trying out your ear trainer. I've been using the Functional Ear Trainer www.miles.be for the cadence-type ear training championed by Bruce Arnold, and GNU Solfege www.solfege.org for everything else, but my windows-based laptop doesnt really like it all the time.

Thanks,
r

Guni
02-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Hi WaterGuy,

The two trainers you mention are for sure among the best resources out there. I'm actually in contact with a few other 'ear training software' developers discussing the possibility of combining forces, which could be quite interesting.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I'll see to it that the first beta will be released soon.

Laterz,

Guni