PDA

View Full Version : Words to Live By

BassDeffy
03-01-2004, 05:44 PM
When I started learning how to play an instrument, my dad gave me his old guitar lessons book. It was an old beat up book from the early 80's, dirty black cover, and full of strange squiggles, lines, dots, and thingamawhatsits that were musical notation. The book itself never helped me much, infact a few years of frustration later I switched over to bass. However what was written on the inside cover by my dad's guitar teacher has stayed with me. These simple words are things I remember when I practice and have helped me alot.

"Remember Technique" and "Don't Look at Your Left Hand"

Anyone else have any inspiring words they recieved?

madhatter@skool
03-01-2004, 07:16 PM
"You have what it takes. All that is left is to do what it takes with what you have."
---my guitar teacher on a card for my birthday

EricV
03-01-2004, 07:28 PM
"No one can play everything. Figure out what you want to play and focus on that" Abi von Reininghaus

"If you find out you have a problem with playing something, find that problem, isolate it, work on it and get rid of it" Steve Morse

Eric

Cuno
03-01-2004, 08:03 PM
"Don´t ever forget: when you´re playing music, someone is listening"
-- Mick Goodrick

Carvinite
03-01-2004, 09:59 PM
"Never give up, you have it"-My father

those single 6 words are what have kept me trying......and i also dont think they would have been as improtant had they not been from my father....

snufeldin
03-01-2004, 10:05 PM
"you should really become one of those people who writes and plays music... you're good"

from an 11 year old girl who heard me practicing while she visited my little sister... she died a month later in a plane crash.

madhatter@skool
03-04-2004, 05:18 PM
"Less is more" is BS. It is scientifically impossible for less to be more. Less may be APPROPRIATE at certain times, but LESS IS NEVER MORE!

---My teacher

phantom
03-09-2004, 10:17 AM
"practice makes perfect... more practice makes more perfect" - Paul Hanson

"don't always play that fast stuff on those high frets, there is not enough space! look, the chords & melody sound better in the lower frets! it's like having a clearer, more understandable voice while talking to someone" - Joe Pass

both were right and helpful.

sewerhobo
03-17-2004, 03:58 AM
practice makes perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

---???

Bongo Boy
03-17-2004, 06:30 AM
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

D-Day
03-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Actions speak louder than words, so the occaional stunned looks on my friends faces is plenty of motivation for me.
..Hey it's better than the politely restrained 'that wasn't so good' face from when I started playing 4 months ago. :p

Chim_Chim
03-23-2004, 09:26 AM
"Less is more refers to....less clutter = more space!" - me

"In space no one can hear you scream" - some movie :p

"Silence is golden" - some dude

"If you can't sing anything nice shut the F* up!" - me

Spekko
04-30-2004, 10:07 PM
You know, I think the greatest thing happened last night. My mom just got back from a trip and we were up late talking about things and whatever, and um... somehow we got on the subject of a music school and how expensive it would be. Anyways, my mom said *clears throat*:

"You know, if there's something that really makes you happy, and you're really passionate about it, then go for it. Don't worry about the financial part of it, or what others say. That's not for you to worry about. Just play, and enjoy doing it."

I guess, I mean, it's nothing big, but it's always amazing to hear someone say that to you when you kind of assume that they more or less don't care. Heh, I got all teary typing that up.

Axe-aholic
05-01-2004, 05:26 AM
"Practice doesn't make perfect- perfect practice makes perfect" Jamey Andreas ( I think)

"The Metronome is your friend"- My old guitar teacher.

That statement has meant a lot to me over the years. I used to hate my little clicker, but I just kept saying the above phrase over and over. And it's so true! Your metronome's ONLY desire in life is to make YOU a better player! He/she's your friend! Talk to him/her! Tell him/her about you problems, desires, needs...ANYTHING! The relationship you built with your 'nome is one of the greatest things you can develop. He/she will NEVER, EVER let you down.

And..of course....

"You have unleashed the ****** fury!" -Yngwie Malmsteen

theguitarist
05-01-2004, 06:23 AM
"No pain no gain" practice till you feel the pain

Koala
05-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Musicians dont starve to death, mediocre musicians starve to death.

Sakkaku
05-01-2004, 07:44 AM
I won't give up until the blood soaks my fingers.

Guila
05-01-2004, 12:13 PM
My Mother once told me: "Turn It Down, Go Learn Some Music" i got so pissed off that i learned Kiss Songs and Offspring songs that she hates :cool: Now I Play them LOUD

GuitarLausing
05-11-2004, 01:43 PM
"No pain no gain" practice till you feel the painwho said that?

that is probably the most stupid thing i've heard in a long time.
By doing so, you strain your muscles, fingers, etc., and in the long run you seriously damage them.
This might apply to more sport-like activities like bodybuilding etc., but not guitar playing.

GuitarLausing
05-11-2004, 01:50 PM
oh yeah... the words:

"Many people will try to change your opinions. Be open, but STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF"

progg
05-11-2004, 02:14 PM
"Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum. Hooters, hooters on a girl that's dumb." / Al Bundy

Damnit! My mother or (step)dad never told me any encouraging words really. That might have helped. Then again. I wasn't the listener when I was younger.

Hello by the way. New chap to the forums. Been checking it out for a while but decided to sign up today. Yay me! Oh yeah.. big Al Bundy fan =)

Carvinite
05-11-2004, 02:30 PM
killer welcome "Home" As i like to call it =D

Gunnan
05-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Cream / Clapton

" Riding in my car, smoking my cigar, only time im happy is when I play my guitar "

Jimi / Red House

" Its ok,I still got my guitar "

Bill Ireton / guitar teacher

" You havent been using your metranome have you? "

theguitarist
05-12-2004, 11:55 AM
who said that?

that is probably the most stupid thing i've heard in a long time.
By doing so, you strain your muscles, fingers, etc., and in the long run you seriously damage them.
This might apply to more sport-like activities like bodybuilding etc., but not guitar playing.hey man i didn't mean to say that.what i meant was that pain is something that have an impact on you it is a negetive effect but it is a big impact.
so practice until you feel an impact of that practice(good one NOT PAIN Ok).that's what i wanted to say.i think i said it with a wrong example.

MusicM@n
05-12-2004, 11:59 AM
"If it's not clean, it's worth poo poo." Steve Vai

osiris
05-12-2004, 01:36 PM
"The moment you lose yourself in the music is the moment you begin to find yourself."
(?) John McLaughlin

since than i'm looking for myself every moment of my life

SkinnyDevil
05-12-2004, 02:05 PM
"Every man dies, but not every man truly lives." (Braveheart)

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease." (?)

"The pen is mightier than the sword...especially if it's a very long pen with a sharp point and you thrust first and furiously!" (my brother)

Steve Vai's quote regarding the 5 best reasons not to practice.

"My girlfriend is a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian." (Pulp Fiction)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." (Ann Landers)

"Our lives improve only when we take chances - and the first and most difficult risk we can take is to be honest with ourselves." (Walter Anderson)

Almost anything ever uttered by Phil Sudo.

osiris
05-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Oh Yes!! :)))

I Love Steve Vai's

"somethimes I Want To F*k My Guitar!"

Yeah, That's For Sure!!!!! :))))))))))))))))))))

progg
05-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Oh Yes!! :)))

I Love Steve Vai's

"somethimes I Want To F*k My Guitar!"

Yeah, That's For Sure!!!!! :))))))))))))))))))))
Isn't that just words from a very very sick man? =) I would have accepted "stroke" perhaps, but actual intercourse is just going over a very unneeded edge (for me personally).

phantom
05-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Isn't that just words from a very very sick man? =) I would have accepted "stroke" perhaps, but actual intercourse is just going over a very unneeded edge (for me personally).

progg- think about it as "sharing most personal moments" not as acctual intercourse.

osiris
05-13-2004, 09:35 AM
guitar = love of my life :)

it doesn't mean that guitar can substitute my woman or my friends in any way :)
but there is some special feeling when playing.... i'm going mad of this, i'm fall in love with the music and my guitar - can't give you right definition of it....

btw... someone said: "genuis" is "madness" and on the contrary :) i'm talking about Vai... :)

osiris
05-13-2004, 09:37 AM
That's Right!

stubeaver
05-29-2004, 10:50 PM
"Why don't you go outside and get some real friends" -Mother Dearest