PDA

View Full Version : How to stay up late

Unhorizon
03-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Lately I have been practicing guitar from about 6 to 9 at night(except weekends which I usually play from 1-3 and then 7- whenever), and I have school every day. I am trying to figure out how to stay up later because I get tired very easily. By 9 o clock I'm getting drowsy, and its ridiculous, because I can stay up 2 or 3 more hours a night and still be fine in the morning. So how do you guys keep yourselves up at not. Don't tell me to drugs or anything like that.

flathead
03-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Hmm.... I seen a Bugs Bunny cartoon once where Bugs clipped clothespins to his eyelids to keep his eyes open.

szulc
03-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Doing something exciting or interesting keeps me up. Boring things put me to sleep.

Bongo Boy
03-08-2004, 02:42 AM
If you need sleep, then you should sleep. I'm with szulc on this one...if you're exciting by something you'll keep with it and be energized, and you'll sleep when you need to. But doing something artificial to keep yourself awake is NOT a good idea.

oscardoo
03-08-2004, 05:16 AM
two words for u : Espresso machine
works for me (and it's legal)!
you can train your body to need less sleep if u keep at it

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death..."
Roger Waters

Carvinite
03-08-2004, 05:11 PM
well it seems if we arent alike at all I am an insomniac and you cant keep from shuting your eyes....lol...;) ....I can never sleep so i just play my guitar:D

the1andonly
03-17-2004, 06:26 PM
I read somewhere that for every one hour you sleep in the afternoon taking a nap you can skip two hours of sleep at night. so maybe you should try taking a nap when you get home from school. it works for me.

LuisSavesTheDay
03-20-2004, 04:05 AM
WELL **** ME IN THE ***!!! If that nap ting is true, someones (me) gonna be taking 2 naps a day. Only prob is, when i take naps, i get a headache. Weird eh?

oRg
04-12-2004, 05:01 PM
hmm...I find it easier to stay up at night playing guitar and learning new licks and songs. It always helps me stay awake.

wild_child
04-12-2004, 05:30 PM
i like to stay up and play my guitar, but its pointless me learning anything at night, because i always forget it by the morning.... i'm better off going out and causing havoc on the town or something :rolleyes:

salsainglesa
04-13-2004, 10:27 PM
I think it has to do with your internal clock. Some people are more aware in the mornings than at night.
FOr me it's the opposite,I usually feel tired during day, and like the energizer bunny at night, so I practice new things, and sleep them over. The next morning they are printed in my mind.
I guess you have to get to know yourself.

Atte. Another Insomniac.

EricV
04-13-2004, 10:38 PM
If you actually are able to modify your own schedule to the point where you sleep until noon, itīs all a matter of slowly getting used to it.
I mean, if you have to be at work at like 9 AM, or if you have to go to school, it will be tough to work late, since a constant lack of sleep isnīt healthy at all. I have that a few times every year... times where I work on songs or some projects and I only get like 3-4 hours of sleep at night.
Itīs not a problem for the first few days, but at some point, it will affect you rather negatively... itīs unhealthy, and either you get sick, or you canīt work efficiently anymore ( or you wonīt enjoy it anymore at all )
I remember, one time after a week of like 3-4 hrs of sleep at night I felt as if I was getting really sick... it felt like a bad flu. All the symptoms were there, and it felt as if Iīd be REALLY sick the next day.
So I changed my schedule and slept like 10 hrs straight. And I was perfectly fine when I got up. So I guess my body was trying to tell me in some way that I needed more sleep.

If you donīt have to get up early, you can train yourself to work late. I usually do that when itīs getting winter. Thatīs the time of year where I stay up until 4, 5, 6 or even 7 AM and then sleep until noon, or like 1 PM.
I also know that noon isnīt my time at all... I donīt like the hours between 11 and 2 PM, I just feel as if I canīt function then, even if I had enough sleep. Itīs just not my time of the day.
So that late-night schedule helps to get around that.

However, I donīt think itīs very healthy to go to sleep at dawn and get up when the sun goes down for a long period of time. So when springīs coming, or in the summer, I change my schedule so that I go to sleep at 2 or 3 and get up at 9 AM or so. I enjoy that, cuz I guess Iīm the summer kind of person =)
Anyway, just rambling, sorry if I got too longwinded
Eric

razocaine_07
04-13-2004, 11:41 PM
for the past 6months, my average day has been going to bed between 3 and 4 in the morning and getting up around the 12 mark. My body has got used to it now and i feel fine. At the beginning tho, i felt tired all the time because my natural clock was all over the place.

You've got to remember that everyone needs different amounts of sleep. My dad only needs 4 hours a night, no joke.

spooky_wooky
04-14-2004, 10:20 AM
I got agree with EricV. The times ive deprived myself of sleep for about a week (we are talking like 3/4 hours a night) ive just crashed at the end. puts me out for a good few days, so all the time id "gained" was just lost, and i felt like **** (for the time i was sick AND the week i was depriving myself of sleep).

If you want just a few extra hours at night, drink a bottle of 600ml bottle of coke or something. for some reason coffee makes me drowsy, so if i need to stay up i just chug down some coke and im fine :).

but seriously, dont take it too far or you'll end up losing out.

EricV
04-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I drink a lot of coffee, and when you didnīt have enough sleep and you drink a lot of coffee, it tends to make ya a big drowsy.
I donīt eat enough when I am sleep-deprived either, just donīt feel like it then. And that ainīt healthy, either.
Not only does a lack of sleep make it tough to focus and stuff, it also can mess up your mood big time. Some people tend to get nervous or even agressive, so when something goes wrong, itīs tough to deal with it.
If you have to cut back on the sleep because there is something you need to finish and you donīt have enough time, you probably have to do it. But... I donīt think itīs a good idea to cut back on sleep too much... practicing, playing, learning and recording can be pretty demanding things to do both mentally and physically, so you wanna make sure you feel well.
Eric

Sakkaku
04-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Eric, I fully hear ya. I'm getting over strep throat, and it's been kicking me hard over the past week. How did I get it? Not enough sleep, and too much guitar... and considering it's 1:22am here, I'd better get to bed!

EricV
04-21-2004, 01:06 AM
People often donīt realize how much a lack of sleep or a lack of food ( or bad food ) can affect you and your ability to do stuff.
This concerns both physical abilities and mental stuff... focus etc.
I did experiment with this stuff for a while... I think I have talked about the recording of "Hidden Creek" before... that day, I was very very tired ( 2 hours of sleep the night before, so within like 36 hours, I had about 3 hours of sleep ), I was hungry, hadnt eaten all day, and I had jammed with Thorsten for a few hours ( so I felt a bit empty regarding playing... after playing intensly for so long )
Well, I decided to record "Hidden Creek" anyway, and the results surprised me a lot... I recorded the whole lead guitar in one take, and in the process, I came up with some melodies I had liked a lot. For some reason, I think the song turned out the way it is because of the state I was in...
Reminds me of some of the experiments Vai used to do =)

Anyway, although the "Hidden Creek experience" was a positive one, I really think you should pay attention to your sleeping and eating habits.
A lack of sleep can mess you up big time... you get cranky, it can mess up your timing and hearing, you canīt focus very well etc.
It just isnt very healthy, and even though I do have periods where I donīt sleep enough at all, I try to in between sleep a whole lot. It just feels good when I do, and thereīs no sense in burning yourself out.
Same goes for eating. I admit that I am not eating well most of the time... lots of fast food, candy and stuff. The fast food I eat because... well, sometimes I just donīt have the time ( or nerve ) to go shopping for groceries and cook that stuff.
Well, ok, hereīs yet another weird thing about me:
I do not enjoy eating a whole lot. I know a lot of people who do... they look forward to their meals, they take their time, they enjoy it.
For me, eating is a burden. When I practice or write or record, and I feel that I am getting hungry, it kinda bothers me. I think "Dang it, I have to eat something". Feels almost like a weakness. And so I rush it, grab something to eat, eat it quickly, and go back to work.
That ainīt healthy, so in between I try to take some time off, relax and enjoy the meal ( usually that is when I eat with my g/f ).
And it feels good when I do. I notice that eating too quickly, or eatingonly junk food for too long can affect me quite a bit.
Anyway, I am sorry for rambling, I guess that was way-too-off-topic.
Eric

oRg
04-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Asfar as writing music. I find it best to stay up late and write stuff. I'm not really wide awake and i"m nodding off every now and then but when I'm really tired is when my best stuff comes out. I'll tab it out or record it and then I'll pick up where I left off once I get some sleep.

CaptainCarma
04-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Attention off topic...

"The effects of good music are not just because it's new; on the contrary music strikes us more the more familiar we are with it." - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

- thanks oRg, this is the first time ever for me, to read some of goetheīs words translated into english...weird.

Bassistikus
04-27-2004, 09:57 AM
i drink a loooot of coke and red bull! :D it works fine for me!