PDA

View Full Version : First Guitar

Slartibartfast
09-06-2002, 11:26 PM
I just recently started a classical guitar course at my high school, and I need some advice on what I should look for when I go out to buy my first guitar. All I know right now is that it needs to be acoustic, and my budget is set at about $250. Do you guys have any recommendations or tips?

Bongo Boy
09-07-2002, 12:29 AM
I'm a beginner and know nothing about guitar selection. So...what I'd do is get into your yellow pages, find instructors, and ask them. They should be able to at least give their opinons on whether you should get a classical, nylon-string instrument, a steel-string acoustic, etc.

Understand the basic differences between these guitars in terms of the strings, the nut widths, and the size of the box.

There...that's all I know.

Guni
09-07-2002, 10:04 AM
Hi Slarti,

In terms of classical guitar I really do like Yamaha guitars. Mine is a CG-150S which I have been playing for 17 years now. I like it for its warm tone. Also it's an allround guitar for a decent price.

Guni

Danster
09-08-2002, 10:37 PM
Hey there,

Once you have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 you are interested in, I would recommend you visit harmonycentral.com, and check out their user reviews. There are a large number of guitars reviewed there by the owners of those guitars.

Cheers,
Dan

Slartibartfast
09-09-2002, 04:15 AM
Thanks for your help, guys. I'm going guitar shopping tomorrow, and now I think I have an idea what to look for.

Bongo Boy
09-25-2002, 02:10 AM
...and what did we come home with?

Guni
09-25-2002, 07:46 AM
hehe .. yeah, I am curious too...;)

Guni