PDA

View Full Version : Tremolo.

The Dude
04-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Hey, I've not really posted alot on this forum, but I've learnt alot from it, thanks to everyone here, especially Eric and Guni. They know so much. Anyway, the point of this post was that I need some help and I can't really find any articles on it anywhere.

Usually, the way I learn things is just figure it out for myself, but this has got me stuck. My tremolo picking seems kind of slow compared to friends and the alike although on the whole I can play runs and arps. at a reasonable speed. I'm not really into fast guitar, but I gues sit's better to have it and not to use it than need it and not have it so ...

I'd really appreciate it if somebody here could help and give me some advice on how to speed my tremolo picking up.

Thanks

SkinnyDevil
04-21-2004, 02:10 PM
My first suggestion is not to try to figure it all out by yourself, bro. No need to re-invent the wheel (hahaha!). If you don't like the idea of taking lessons, you might try instructional videos. I've seen some good ones and I've seen some great ones, but I've never seen a bad one.

As far as tremelo picking - start more slowly than you think you need to go. Build up gradually and find exactly at what speed you loose control, then drop back a gear and take a look at your technique. Are you hitting the string head on or at an angle? Is your pick tilted or straight? Are you striking the string with just the tiniest tip of the pick or with a big chunk of it?

Adjust one factor at a time and continue until it feels more fluid, and make sure your hand is RELAXED so it grazes over the string rather than forcing thru the string.

You'll be flying by the end of the week.

By the way - how fast can you strum all 6 strings?

The Dude
04-21-2004, 08:41 PM
As for learning myself, I don't have anything against learning from others - I sat down and studied people like Hendrix, Frank Zappa, David Gilmour, Steve Vai and John Frusciante - the sort of guitarists who influenced me and learned from what they were doing, so if anything I think it's the only way you can learn.

Thanks for the advice though, I've always taken it slowly, just this that was bothering me. None the less, strumming strings ? It depends - I never thought of speed as that much of an important factor in my playing - but if Im playing any flamenco stuff, rasgueado makes strumming sound fast. Besides if Im strumming it generally means Im doing rhythm stuff and as such Ive not really crossed anything too fast in that area yet.