PDA

View Full Version : chord substitution

lycanthrope
04-22-2004, 05:53 AM
http://www.petrucciforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18159&sid=7d3b3520f8179c4ed29fcbe1bd66b2cd

I (regrettably) started a forum topic on chord substitution at another forum where everyone was pretty poor at explaining if id done what i did properly...

as it turns out, i was trying to practicing chord substitutions on chords that had ALREADY been substituted... but it was just for practice.

If you read a few posts down you can read peoples criticism, and my 'defense' which i still stand by.

Be great to get some feedback on this though - thankyou

yon.

phantom
04-22-2004, 07:27 AM
hi,
i read all that stuff at the other forum and as far as i can see you are right with what you did.
it sounded just like the others had a different understanding of the term "substitution".

the first chord you play is Am11. then you substitute it at in the middle of the bar with A7#5. afaik this is a "legal" substitution if you resolve a fourth higher.
maybe the others got confused cause they were expecting that you substitute the Am11 with something like a Cmaj9 ...?

i'm not a master at this, but maybe chrisJ or szulc or anyone can help?

lycanthrope
04-22-2004, 07:34 AM
hey thanks for the reply
just one thing - what does afaik mean??

phantom
04-22-2004, 08:00 AM
as far as i know

mjo
04-30-2004, 07:13 PM
I had to reply, just because I Love this tune (Nothin' but the Blues).
In case you don't know this already, Robben Ford does a version of this on his "Talk to your Daughter" cd.
.....just wanted to share that.,.......no, I don't have much work today :)

:Mike

lycanthrope
04-30-2004, 10:36 PM
I had to reply, just because I Love this tune (Nothin' but the Blues).
In case you don't know this already, Robben Ford does a version of this on his "Talk to your Daughter" cd.
.....just wanted to share that.,.......no, I don't have much work today :)

:Mike

ahhh yes my friend - it already features all the best substitutions i can imagine...so 'resubstituting' it was a bit silly, but hey i needed the practice.

Its a great cd that 'talk to your daughter'...what a player ah! :)

cheers,
yon.

szulc
05-01-2004, 06:44 AM
Chord substitution is when you replace any chord with a different chord (preferably without changing its harmonic function), This can take simple forms like enharmonic substitution (Am7 for CM6) to the more complicated forms like tritone substitution. There is also reductive or additive substitution where you toss some tones or add some tensions. A few months ago I wrote an article on this topic centering on tritone subs and movable chord forms http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/138