PDA

View Full Version : SLight Runnin with arrogance....

Carvinite
04-25-2004, 09:10 PM
I was at my house the other day when my freind and one of his freinds stoped in....I was back in my room practicing and they came in...He practically said hand me the guitar...so I did....he started trying to show off..and impress me...and i was like ok.....I got it...you want me to think your better than I am...

And i thought to myself "Bull****! Im not going to let you walk all over me"...I had been trying to play a little bit of "Midnight" by Satch.....Of course I couldnt play it right or all the way through...but! I could play some of it....so I break out into it.....His eyes glaze over and get big...and i was like..."Yea thats right"..(im never like that..i dont konw what got into me)

They left and i said bye and everything ...later my new guitar came in...and i was so stoked...and that guys dad came over to get him and he told me to play that for him....I played it.....they were impressed...I didnt think nuthin about it.....They left

An hour or 2 I was sittin there and my mom said "Bill y was impressed by that one song"(I knew what she was talking aobut).....I was still mad that he tried to run me over like that....I am tired of ppl. doing that to me...and that day was the day that I was to get my guitar!...

So after she said that i said "He's not the one I want to impress"....which is kind of sounded like i was a A**....and she got onto me....saying that she meant it as a compliment.....

I kinda fell bad about having that little bit of arrogance about me...so guys...did i do wrong?....

Thanks
Ryan

LarryJ
04-25-2004, 10:37 PM
yes and no. It's a very natural thing, use it to your advantage. Guitar isn't supposed to be a 'sport' but lets face it, it is. Nobody has the innate natural desire to just master it before they first have the desire to impress others. More than a few guitarists will tell you they picked it up to impress girls... It's good you wanted to 'blow him away' because that'll make you practice that much more, and become a better player. Competition is a great thing, as long as you dont let it get the best of you. Make sure you can really play first, and be a good 'team player' if your in a band before you go off and just play shredding lick a, shredding lick b etc. Nobody likes that type of person , the one in the store who plays the same 3 licks over and over full blast as fast as possible.

When you're playing to best a wanker, I dont think thats bad, it's like a taste of their own medicine, but when you do it just to be a jerk and annoy people who aren't as good as you, than thats being a jerk. When you invest so much time into something, you naturally want to show it off, so its really a struggle with who you are. I dont think its a bad thing, as long as you don't go overboard and start getting a huge ego or something *cough* yngwie *cough*.... :D

Carvinite
04-25-2004, 11:33 PM
thanks

Guila
04-25-2004, 11:42 PM
I Would Name Yngwie but Larry did it already :)

Chim_Chim
04-26-2004, 02:58 AM
Boy I never get tired of people taking cheap pot shots at Yngwie.

Oh wait,yes I do. :D

EricV
04-26-2004, 06:07 AM
Letīs face it, many of us go through a phase like that, usually when weīre young. I remember Steve Morse saying something like that once... that playing fast is a way for young players to deal with their agression and stuff.
At the same time, that competition seems to become important at some point. I went through that, and I know many others who did as well.
Itīs like when you go into a Guitar Center, and thereīs this kid sitting there with a metal-strat plugged into a higain-amp... sitting there for hours, shredding his hands off. Playing every cool lick he knows over and over, tapping, fast picking etc.
He usually is not even considering BUYING any of that stuff or seriously testing it ( cuz you hardly ever hear him try out the clean channel or play some rhythm guitar ;) ), itīs just to show off. It makes him feel better... he worked his hands off, woodshedding at home, and now he wants to show it. If he gets some admiration from a younger, less experienced player who happens to be at the store, even better.
Last time I saw something like that happening ( happens pretty much every time I go to a guitar store, but I donīt go there often anyway ), it was kinda funny. Made me smile, cuz it reminded me of a phase I went through in my teens.
itīs normal, and even though it doesnīt seem to be the most honorable thing to do, itīs normal. For a while, it becomes a competition. Itīs the "gunslinger"-attitude at work :cool:
Eric

Carvinite
04-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys

szulc
05-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Play because you are inspired.

Guila
05-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Or Play because you mamma tells you not to :cool:

tom_hogan
05-02-2004, 10:32 PM
if im testing out a guitar tbh ill play what i want be it the beatles or yngwie

most of the time ill play yngwie mind

imo there is nothing wrong with competition , makes things more fun:)

snufeldin
05-02-2004, 11:27 PM
The problem with competition, for me, is when the judgement is placed on speed. This is usually what happens because it's the easiest thing to quantitatively judge. Of course people that do this are immature and poorly endowed. All of these people have the mindset of "I'm a guitarist" and not "I'm a musician," usually because they are only a guitarist.

Koala
05-03-2004, 03:50 AM
Healthy competiton is alright, but if you loose focus, about it all being about music, and doing what you love youll end up either being an ***, or being crushed. Its all about music and its supposed to be fun, if you wanna play 32nd notes at 390bpm, go for it, but do it for yourself and your musics sake.

KFCshred
05-03-2004, 03:46 PM
I think competition is fun... I know the important thing is making music, not making your guitar sound like a robot on crack... but that doesnt mean its not FUN!

what i hate is people that learn one song and tell EVERYONE that they are a guitar player(like this kid I once knew). I would never just anounce for no reason other than to impress that I'm a guitarist, especially if i could barely play the darn thing. So if I'm in a situation where somebody is just braggin away that they're hot stuff cuz they learned the new nickleback song or whatever.... I think its appropriate to play the most f***ed up robot sounding licks you can come up with.

EricV
05-03-2004, 04:46 PM
I think its appropriate to play the most f***ed up robot sounding licks you can come up with.
...only to see everyone around you with a blank look on their face until that guy who mentioned the Nickelback song goes "Dude, youīve got no feel. Flash in the pan"
While others will go "What was that high-pitched stuff he was doing, that stuff that went "weedleeweedlee"`? I never hear stuff like that on my NuRock-albums. I donīt know whether I like this or not"

Just kidding ;)
Eric

Carvinite
05-04-2004, 12:40 AM
"weedleeweedlee"`?

ROFL!!! Ive got sumthin for ya...lol

Funny!!!!!! (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail36.html)

tom_hogan
05-04-2004, 04:48 PM
The whole "you play fast so you must me a megalomaniac idiot" is just getting plain boring

For one it’s not true, and the competition isn’t for speed but to play well yeah and that includes to play well at speed, also what a lot of people forget is that speed playing can help your slow playing ( well it has mine IMO)

I’m sick of this holier than thou treatment people get that play fast.

Just my opinion on things

snufeldin
05-04-2004, 08:18 PM
The whole "you play fast so you must me a megalomaniac idiot" is just getting plain boring
The whole "I play fast so I must be a good guitarist" gets boring to me. The whole "I have to learn to play fast to be a good guitarist" gets boring to me as well.

Although you are right that everyone that plays fast is not playing crap, for example Thorsten, there is an uncanny number of people out there that play fast for the sake of playing fast.

Carvinite
05-04-2004, 08:20 PM
did anyone watch the thing that said funny on it?

mjo
05-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Quote:
"did anyone watch the thing that said funny on it?"

..... :) :D :D

oh yeah, HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!

:Mike

Carvinite
05-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks =D