PDA

View Full Version : Really messed up rhythms

BryantC
04-26-2004, 12:16 AM
hello everyone. this is the first time i post a thread on this (or any other) Forum, so bear with me. My question is regaurding some crazy rhythms i see in transcriptions. what i mean is switching from say sixteenth notes to septuplets to some strange polyrhythmic grouping all within the course of one bar. like something i would find in a dream theater solo.
not that im far enough along in my playing skills to worry about this sort of thing i was just curious as to how one would go about tackling something like this.
THanks,
Bryant

SkinnyDevil
04-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Practice, practice, practice.

To get used to odd groupings, you simply have to play them. 4s are probably easiest since you've heard them all your life. 3s aren't so bad, either, so practice switching from a duple to a triple. When you get to odd groupings (like 5s or 7s) it'll take some extra patience.

To switch fluidly from one to another within a single passage, you'll have to be VERY comfortable with the groupings as well as well practiced.

Axe-aholic
04-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Here's a little tip I got from a book.
Set your metronome at 40bpm and play one note per beat, after you get the feel down move to two then three, then four, then five, then six, etc. All the way up to nine, then come back down. The start accenting different notes, and upping the tempo.

It took me a little while to get them all evenly spaced, but just work on it for a few minutes a day and your feel for rhythmns should improve

BornToShred
07-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Let's take, for example, practicing quintuplets (fives).

Set the metronome at something like 60bpm. Then over each beat, say a five-syllable-word, like hip-po-po-ta-mus, so that the first syllable always falls on the click.

ProgBG
07-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Here's a little tip I got from a book.
Set your metronome at 40bpm and play one note per beat, after you get the feel down move to two then three, then four, then five, then six, etc. All the way up to nine, then come back down. The start accenting different notes, and upping the tempo.
I do the same thing. You can play this exercise with licks or scales. I often use the Bebop Scale (1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 maj7) for this. The hardest thing in my opinion is to play quarter tripplets at that tempo. But it's fun :D

KAYA BG

waffleberry
08-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Tool, every instrument playing at different rythem.