PDA

View Full Version : Good Books On Sight Reading?

Axe-aholic
05-11-2004, 11:35 PM
Wow....the title just about says it. So yeah, can y'all recommend any good sight reading books?

forgottenking2
05-12-2004, 03:59 PM
William Leavit's Method is good (if you know a little bit and need to improve)
Complete Modern Guitar Method (or something like that) or if you're startign from scratch try MI's "SIght reading for guitar" it's good id you're just starting out... those are the ones I've used (aside from your usual classical bibles... :: sighs :: )

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Koala
05-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Just to add to Jorgeīs post. William Leavitīs triolgy is called A Modern Method for Guitar.

bdemon
05-13-2004, 03:52 PM
It's all about Mel Bay, man! Learn those Civil War tunes! :)

I recently switched to Wolf Marshall's Guitar Method ("Primer" is the first one). Still has some cheese like Greensleeves in it, but he tries to explain how many of the melodies have been used by contemporary players. "This Kreutzer etude was used by Van Halen in Eruption..."

From there, Hal Leonard has put out a few books called "Easy Pop Melodies", "More Easy Pop Melodies" and "Even More Easy Pop Melodies". Very simple vocal and guitar lines (no tab) to everything from Beatles to Nirvana to Celine Dion's Titanic Theme--which I threaten to make my students learn if they don't practice the stuff I give them.

Axe-aholic
05-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.. although I was looking for something more instructional. Willain Leavit's and Mel Bay's methods from what I've seen have very little commentary and just throw a bunch of songs at you. I was kinda looking for something that showed you more how to go about being able to sight read in all posistions..is there anything like that?

bdemon
05-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.. although I was looking for something more instructional. Willain Leavit's and Mel Bay's methods from what I've seen have very little commentary and just throw a bunch of songs at you. I was kinda looking for something that showed you more how to go about being able to sight read in all posistions..is there anything like that?

I've only glanced at Leavitt books, but I've studied five of the seven books in the Mel Bay Method. True, there isn't a lot of "This is why you do this...this is how you do that." But it's full of etudes, exercises, chord drills and songs that start off easy and grow more complex. Other positions are covered in later parts of the series.

Personally, I like the methods that cover a series of books. The learning comes from going through all the etudes, not just a few pages of, "This is a quarter note..." that I've seen some books do. Tell me what you're talking about, then show me how to put it to use. :)

Ein
06-16-2004, 04:05 AM
Hmm, for me, I never really used a method, other than me writing, and re-writing it, again and again, and with that, I learned how to read a bit easier, though, I can't read and play the guitar very quickly.

Repetition is the best way, imo. Have fun with it too, ask someone to randomly write notes on a staff, and just read it, and do it again until you become somewhat comfortable.