PDA

View Full Version : Who's got the Funk?

Compact Diss
05-24-2004, 01:16 AM
I'm interested in playing Funk. I have a drummer who wants to start playing this type of music. I have no clue except that it is mostly 16th note rhythms--I have heard accents also. Can anyone help??
Thanks--

Bizarro
05-24-2004, 03:48 AM
Go buy Ross Bolton's instructional video, Funk Rhythm Guitar. If you only had one thing to learn funk guitar, this would be the holy grail! :) Seriously, it's the best I've seen and it is worth the $$ and then some.

Compact Diss
05-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks!

Koala
05-26-2004, 03:26 AM
Check out Parliament Funkadelic, The Meters, Bootsy Collins, and if you can find it definitely get Axiom Funk, a release by Bill Laswells records label Axiom. Its killer stuff.

Gunnan
05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
I have been learning a bit of basic funk, maybe it might help you.

Alot of 9th chords, and half step slides into 9th chords seem to be utilized in the lesson my teacher gave me. Most of it is just basic outlines of a funky rhythm using 16th notes and scratches inbetween. If you are intrested, or cant find a source for some more information I can send via actual mail the two lessons I have. Gunnna16@yahoo.com

MANU
05-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Hallo!

Your right hand should always play 16th...straight up and down. The accents should be set by the left hand... Such a figure can look like this:

CCxx CxCx CxxC xxCx

or;

CCCC xCxC Cxxx xxxx

,or:
CxxC xxCx xxCx xCxx

(C= chord; x= palm muted)

By the way, it's sounding much better if you only play the high e-string palm muted (x).
Sometimes it's good not to play too much...

It's also important, not to play 100% "exact"...cause then it's sounding, like the tempo is too fast for you... You should play a bit laid back...

Listen to the music of Steve Cropper, the Chili Peppers, James Brown, Funkadelic....

(I'm going to write an workshop concerning the topic "Funk guitar" soon and then it'll be published on my hp)...

Groove it...
MANU

ashc
05-27-2004, 03:53 PM
UK Magazine "Guitar Techniques" has run a regular funk series for the last year. Meters, Funkadelic, RHCP, JB's, Nile Rodgers, Prince and many other styles covered. They don't have back issues but you might find some on e-bay maybe.

I find funk is great for rhythm guitar development.. and don't forget some ghost (no hit) strokes in with the mutes. Space is as good as notes...

Skeletor
05-30-2004, 12:28 AM
... I got the funk.

Seriously though, I consider Tom Morello's playing style to be QUITE funky if a little hard so check some of Rage against the Machines stuff if that is the kind of funk you dig. Of course I like the harder stuff. But, Koala listed a few good bands to look into aswell.

bdemon
05-30-2004, 08:59 AM
I feel like a librarian, but here are some references for great funk ideas:

1. Funk Guitar, put out by Alfred. Great riffs in the style of legends like James Brown, Sly & Family Stone, etc.

2. The new issue of Guitar One has a whole article devoted to your question. I listened to the examples...stuff I've already studied in the book above, but they still sound cool & funky.

Definitely get into the 9th chords, 16th note rhythms with lots of skank/chuck stuff going on the strings. PIECES of chords are big as well. So if you're called on for an Am chord you don't have to bust out a full bar chord, just jam on the first two strings of that chord, for example.

Mcbane
05-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Yep the guitar techniques articles on funk are really good, just about everything u could really want there.

GuitarLausing
06-01-2004, 11:10 PM
I got the funk too!

Remember to hold your hand over neck like a baseball bat..

and mute the strings you don't use with your left hand and strike the amount of strings that gives the cool muted clean sound.

and wear a bowler hat while playing live... and a suit. THen you're like god.

AND PLENTY OF WAH!!! this can't be said enough.

Bizarro
06-02-2004, 07:32 AM
A cool song to learn is "Play that Funky Music". It's easy and it is a good starting point.

A harder song is "Couldn't Stand the Weather" by SRV. It's really fun once you get it down tho'! Lots of people stop and stare if you play this in a music store too :eek: Well, that is if you can play it like the CD... ;)

das97
08-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Hi

I'm looking at this song "play that funky music white boy" I know most of it ok and realise it's mostly 9ths and 13th chords. However after the G section (I'm learning the song in A) there are three more chords that I'm having difficulty hearing. The first is an A#9 but I can't figure the next two chords at all (it's on the lyric "lay down that that music etc").

Can anybody help? It would be gratefully appreciated.