PDA

View Full Version : How to motivate

Eurydice
05-24-2004, 11:36 AM
I know that every player has his own strategies to motivate himself. For me its very motivating to visit a live-gig of my favourite band or player. So what is your motivation strategy? Any advices to people who are in danger of losing their motivation or have even lost it?

bdemon
05-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Yeah, gigs and the possibility of groupies is a good motivator, but I love going to music stores and checking out new technique & theory books. Christmas tunes for heavy metal guitar? Woo-hoo! Mariachi guitar? Cool.

Sometimes I can get my hands on the publisher's catalogs and look at what the store doesn't have. The only problem is that I have a bunch of books I've never finished. But I'm not in a rush. I bounce between the jazz guitar, slap bass, or whatever and I don't get bored much.

forgottenking2
05-24-2004, 04:24 PM
I do the same thing... I also play bass, keyboard and guitar and yeah... I'm not as organized as I'd like to be...I do get into a military-discipline-chop-building-technical-quest every once in a while but lately I've been doing more scattered (still focused) practice... arpeggios and improvisation on the keys one day, work on some slaping grooves on another... do some syncopation on the guitar once in a full moon, technique exercises... and so forth... it seems to work for me, I keep motivated that way... I guess I am Hyperactive or something :D

RandyEllefson
05-24-2004, 06:02 PM
I have been lucky and tend to write things that are a bit too hard for me to play at first, but since I like the idea and don't want to "toss it" because I can't really do it, I end up practicing. That's generally been my motivation - to play my own stuff well.

Jergason
05-24-2004, 06:26 PM
On a semi-related topic, how do you stay motivated after seeing an amazing guitarist? I saw Slash, one of my all time favorite guitarists, recently and even though he rocked, it was still kindof depressing. So do you guys have any tips from turning depression into motivation or anything like that?

Axe-aholic
05-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Were you depressed becaused he played bad or because he played good? :D

If it's because he played good, just step back for a moment and see how rediculous that is. I used to get depressed whenever I saw a good player too, but one day, during a fit of the above type of depression I thought "How stupid is this?! Where is worring that I'm not good enough going to get me? SHouldn't I be LEARNING from my guitar heroes instead?"

So instead of worring that I wasn't good, I worried about what I should do to get better. You can't change the present, but you can manipulate the future ;)

Anyway, so about the topic. I just stop playing for a few days and listen to a lot of music or cruise around guitar websites when I start loosing motivation. It works every time :cool:

Jergason
05-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Heh. I don't think Slash knows how to play bad. But he does know how to smoke ciggarettes while wearing a tophat and wailing. But yeah, that does seem kindof stupid when I look at it again. Thanks for the advice!:D

RandyEllefson
05-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Well, I think that happens to everyone, not because we're all egotistical or something, but just because we have some pride and are trying to improve, so when someone seems to smoke us, it's natural to get bummed. I just shrug if off because it is kinda stupid. Just part of being human, you know?

Eurydice
05-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Better players should'nt make you depressed. But I also know this kind of feeling. It's just a question of the view. Okay, perhaps there are 1000 better guitarists but there are also 1000 that play worse in comparison to you. I think it's very important to see a process in your playing, to see that you become better through the times. I often record what I'm playing. And when I listen to it after a long time I just think how terrible I sound in the past and what progress I've made. It's important to see the little steps, although they might be small they are steps to a better guitar-player. :)