PDA

View Full Version : Question about the sweep-picking article

george_menhorn
05-03-2002, 02:11 AM
I have a question about the sweep-picking article. The case where I have the trouble is in 5th position, E (7th fret) with ring finger and then G with index finger. When it is time to be playing the G, should the ring finger be muting the E by relaxing the finger and keeping it on the note? It's not too tricky to do slow but it seems hard to do accurately playing it fast or in even in trickier situations (which I can write the music for if you would like). I'm afraid I'm going to learn it wrong and that I might be spending too much time with this method (it's hard to unlearn the wrong way). Is there a better way to mute the previous note in these cases? or am I heading in the right direction? Thanks!

EricV
05-03-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by george_menhorn
I have a question about the sweep-picking article. The case where I have the trouble is in 5th position, E (7th fret) with ring finger and then G with index finger. When it is time to be playing the G, should the ring finger be muting the E by relaxing the finger and keeping it on the note? It's not too tricky to do slow but it seems hard to do accurately playing it fast or in even in trickier situations (which I can write the music for if you would like). I'm afraid I'm going to learn it wrong and that I might be spending too much time with this method (it's hard to unlearn the wrong way). Is there a better way to mute the previous note in these cases? or am I heading in the right direction? Thanks!

Hi George,
I agree about your wish to learn it exactly right the first time. Based on your description, I made this TAB... I guess that is what you meant:
http://www.ericvandenberg.com/ibreathe/gm.jpg

You could of course mute the note at the 7th fret by releasing your ring finger just a bit ( that is ONE way to do it, like with that "rolling exercise" ). The problem is, as you said, to do that at high speed.
I would mute it with some part of the tip of my index finger. This might LOOK like I am just playing sloppy, but if I take the ring finger of the A-string and, on top of that, touch that A-string with the the tip of my index finger which is already fretting the G, it works !
Also, the muting while doing sweeps can be achieved by the right hand, too.
When I started to work on this technique, there was one certain problem I had to work out: when i.e playing a D major triad in 14th position ( A on the G-string, 14th fret; D on the B-string, 15th fret, F# on the high E-String 14th fret ), I always got noise from taking the index finger away from the A... the open G-string was ringing ( while I was moving the index finger to fret the F# ).
So what I did was a) practising to touch rather softly and taking the finger away softly, too, to avoid a pull-off-effect, and b) muting the G-string on top of that with the tip of the finger that was fretting D, and also with some part of my right hand...

I hope you can weed your way through this long-winded post, and I hope it helps. Lemme know ( post here ) if you have any further questions regarding the article.
Warm regards
Eric

george_menhorn
05-04-2002, 12:20 AM
That is the best answer I have _ever_ read. I've searched I don't know how many books, online articles, etc... no one has explained that well. I just messed around with what you described and it works great (fast and slow)! Thank you so very much.

EricV
05-04-2002, 11:50 AM
George

thanks a lot, I am glad I was able to help. I was worried that it actually might NOT be easy to understand the way I describe it ( I should figure out a way to include photos and maybe videos, huh ? ;) ) ...
So I am glad it makes sense to you. Kudos to my students, cuz they usually make me focus on things like that...
If you need any other help or anything, let us know here at the forum
Warm regards
Eric