PDA

View Full Version : How can I expand my chord vocab?

intestineboy
10-23-2002, 11:13 PM
I am looking for a suggestions on some jazz songs that will increase my chord vocabulary.

At the beginngin of this year I tried out for jazz band thinking I was hot stuff. My thoughts wern't enitirley unfounded because as far as soloing goes I blew the other guy out of the water but my small chord vocabulary made me look very bad and I didn't get the spot.

Anyway I got "little girl blue" from the library because It was one of the songs we tried out on and Im look for some more tunes that will expand my chord knowledge.

Bongo Boy
10-24-2002, 12:54 AM
I selected mine based not on the chord vocab requirement, but based on a 'top ten' list of standards I found at another web site. These tunes are:

All the Things You Are
Autumn Leaves
Don't Get Around Much Anymore
Donna Lee
Girl from Ipanema
Here's That Rainy Day
Honeysuckle Rose
How High the Moon
Misty
South of the Border

and one my wife asked me to work on...

Tenderly.

All or most of these will appear in any jazz fakebook you might find.

Guni
10-24-2002, 07:22 PM
Nice list Bongo, (I don't know 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore' I think)

lemme just add a few more that you are 'expected' to know when going to a session:

Afternoon in Paris
All Blues
Beautiful Love
Blue Bossa
Bluesette
Blues for Alice
In your own sweet way
Green Dolphin Street
Lady Bird
How insensitive
Stella By Starlight
Night and Day
There will never be another you

Guni

Bongo Boy
10-24-2002, 07:56 PM
...and what's nice is that, between these two lists, you should be able to find:

a) a half-dozen that you might actually enjoy or at least not mind, and

b) a multitude of recordings by folks who defined the music in the first place, and those who have done 'contemporary' interpretations.

Don't Get Around Much Anymore is a Duke Ellington number. My fakebook shows FIVE chord changes in each of several bars--so I won't be attempting it anyday soon. One chord per measure is beyond my current skill level, to say the least :)