PDA

View Full Version : Metal Technique

Joćo Paulo
10-25-2002, 08:23 PM
Where i start to learn metal techniques?

Like... fast arpegios like Malmsteen or other metal bands...

EricV
10-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Uhmmm...

Well, first of all, work on your rhythm technique so you can actually play real songs, not only solos.
When it comes to lead guitar technique, always use a metronome. Work on both picking stuff and legato ( hammer-on“s and pull-off“s )
Those are the basics. I don“t recommend attempting sweep picking and that kinda stuff before working on your picking.
Don“t step into the "I wanna learn as many scales as possible" trap... focus on basic minor, major and pentatonic scales, use them to work on your technique and develop some licks.
Then, maybe later, you can take a look at other scales ( Yngwie i.e. likes to use the harmonic minor scale quite a bit )

Besides the articles at ibreathe, I recommend "Intense Rock", Paul Gilbert“s first video. If you can nail all the stuff in that video, you“ve taken a big step already.
Also listen to a lot of stuff and transcribe
Eric

NP: Rush- Vapor Trails

Joćo Paulo
12-04-2002, 02:53 AM
Thank you Eric!

Well, its better to learn reading books or watching videos? Wich do prefer?

see ya

szulc
12-04-2002, 03:25 AM
It doesn't matter whether you read the info or see it, to learn. What matters is your dedication to practice and discipline.
Get a notebook and keep a practice diary, keep track of your progress with a metronome on various exercises.

Joćo Paulo
12-04-2002, 03:29 AM
Ok.....thak you!!!
:D

Daimonion
12-21-2002, 01:22 AM
also, keep an open mind, listen to as many metal genre as possible.

i used to shun those ridiculous black metal bands, majority of whom can't play to save themselves! but it's not the case now. some of my favourite players are from this genre:

*Balsphemer- Mayhem
*Destructor- Myrkskog/ Zyklon
*Cyrus- Susperia
*Ihsan- ex-Emperor/ Peccatum
*Carl August Tideman- Winds
*Abbath- Immortal

i'm terribly picky when it comes to guitar players. i only listen to players who can play their instruments well... the 6 players listed here are completely versed in their crafts. it helps to keep an open mind... i appreciate John Scoffield as much as the above-listed guitar players.

cheers :cool: