PDA

View Full Version : Chord Reading

xenor
06-26-2004, 08:00 AM
How to Improve the skill for reading the chord names and playing them with random voicings. I mean how to sightplay something like this easily? CM7 FM7 G7 D-7 etc... What to practice??

Malcolm
06-26-2004, 11:45 PM
There is a site that goes into this, but, I could not find it. (Found it at http://www.worldguitar.com/barchords1.html -- Go here first, It's for barre chords, however, the principal is the same for open string chords. After looking at this site you may enjoy playing around in the site I've outlined below also.)

So I'll point you here http://www.chordbook.com/cb100/vguitar/guitar_chords.htm in the menu section pull down "Name Chord" then follow the directions.

You were asking about things that were minor and had 7ths in them.

In that site I gave you above. X out all but the high E, B & G string. You are now using a 3 string guitar -- With this site you can move the dots around and then ask the chord generator what chord you have formed.

So, form an A using your 3 string guitar.
move the B string note back one fret toward the nut. Should be Am
add the E string note and put it up one fret toward the sound hole. Should be Am7

My point --- by moving one finger up or back you can make the minor or 7th.

If you were asked for a A#m7 you just start one more fret toward the sound hole then do your things for the minor and the seventh.

Sorry I could not find the site that goes into detail about full chords. Perhaps this will jog someone's memory and they can take us to it.

xenor
06-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the sites. They're really good buut I was talking about a different concept. When I meant reading, I meant like reading from lead sheets or real books.

Dommy
06-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Just go through your realbook, and first try to sight read everything to the best of your ability (chord-wise) leaving out weird extensions that you might not know how to play. Go through the song again, now figuring out ways to finger those weird chords, and either notate them in a notebook or just get them ingrained in you so you can recall them at a later time(transpose to as many keys as you can).

It really helps if you know all the notenames on the 6th and 5th strings, and if you know them all on the 6th string, you know them on the 4th string too, just shifted up 2 frets.

Make sure you have basic voicings for diminished, augmented(7th), dominant(altered or unaltered), major, minor, and m7b5.

You can also look into what are called shell voicings, which feature only the 1, the 7th, and and 3rd, and fill in the alterations from there.

If you work hard enough at it, it should be a piece of cake eventually. Next thing to do after that...drop 3 and drop 2 inversions, leaving out roots, walking bass, and check out the book I mentioned earlier this week, Joe Pass Guitar Chords, that'll give you some new ideas after you already have those things mentioned above under your belt.

xenor
06-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all help! :)