PDA

View Full Version : Please hear a new classical piece I learnt...

BluDChyLD
10-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Just finished learning bach's bourie part 1, took a while but I got there :) Made a few hiccups but nothing serious, this room's a pain to play because it's so small and I have to mount the guitar on my knee... I gave electric playing up a year ago in favour of classical style, take a listen and tell me what you think.
Dawson

Now time to start part two ;)

Bourie Part One (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dawson.thomas/bourietake1.mp3)

nateman
10-31-2002, 04:15 AM
hey, nice work! :D

Bongo Boy
10-31-2002, 05:56 AM
That is a beautiful thing..very nice. How did you do the recording?

BluDChyLD
10-31-2002, 10:31 AM
just with my pc microphone. Sounds a little distorted on the bass notes though...

here's the midi and tab if you want it

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dawson.thomas/bachtab.zip

Danster
10-31-2002, 10:44 AM
Dude, that was awesome! If I could play like that, maybe my wife wouldn't head for the hills every time I picked up my guitar! Dang, I'm inspired! Really!

BluDChyLD
10-31-2002, 11:23 AM
gee, thanks! Although I love playing classical i'd still like to be able to rip out the blues like stevie ray vaughan :) Could never get the hang of it though, so I just stick to what i'm good at...

I'm thinking of selling my electric (really stuck in a rut with it, never gets played) and buy myself a classical guitar instead. Everytime I play one it sounds a lot better, but the neck and strings feel really odd... I'll see what happens, for now im comfortable using my steel strung and it sounds nice.

Danster
10-31-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by BluDChyLD
gee, thanks! Although I love playing classical i'd still like to be able to rip out the blues like stevie ray vaughan :) Could never get the hang of it though, so I just stick to what i'm good at...No way I can play blues like SRV either (not yet anyway!). Your piece sounded really nice. For me, when I pick up my guitar, I just want to slam the heck outta the strings for the most part. I really like aggressive blues guitar like some SRV stuff, Walter Trout, and Hendrix. At this stage of my playing (little over a year playing), I can handle very little of their material. I'm currently trying to learn more music theory, and trying to learn to read music.

I'm thinking of selling my electric (really stuck in a rut with it, never gets played) and buy myself a classical guitar instead. Everytime I play one it sounds a lot better, but the neck and strings feel really odd... I'll see what happens, for now im comfortable using my steel strung and it sounds nice. [/B]Yeah, I noticed that you weren't playing on a classical guitar (by definition, a classical guitar has nylon strings, right?). I played around with a classical guitar a couple decades ago, and yeah, that neck IS different.

Bizarro
10-31-2002, 11:39 PM
While we're on the subject of classical guitar...

The biggest physical advantage (to me) of playing a classical guitar is the sheer amount of room. The neck is very wide and flat which makes it easier to fingerpick and play chord/melody lines.

The biggest disadvantage is sitting down, playing in a classical position. I need to keep correct form so I can make all the stretches without straining or starting bad habits.

I also like the big mellow sound of a classical guitar. Yamaha makes some very nice classical guitars in the $400 price range.

Unfortunately, changing strings is a real pain in the rear. They stretch forever and the high e string is difficult to tie properly so it won't slip out. This gets easier with practice (so I hear), which means the strings on my classical are nearly a decade old!