PDA

View Full Version : For all of you struggling with sweep picking....

UltimaRage
07-10-2004, 06:49 AM
I know that there are a lot of people who struggle with this technique that seems impossible, but when you do figure it out, it becomes kind of easy. Here are some things that will help you out so much.

http://www.insaneguitar.com/mc/JoelWanasek-sweep101.wmv
This video shows you how to sweep pick. I found it just today..

http://www.insaneguitar.com/mc/sweeping.html
This is the article for that video. Nice licks, from 2 string to 6 string licks.

Hope this helps you out.

Also, you know how doing upstrokes when sweeping seems easier than doing downstrokes? Well, a good way to aproach this is to examine WHY the upstrokes are easier. They are easier to synchronize for most, so examine that. About 3-4 days ago, upstrokes were easier than downstrokes. Now, downstrokes are just as easy as upstrokes when I examined my upstroke.

Yeah. :cool:

Guila
07-10-2004, 09:34 PM
The John Petrucci's Rock Discipline has some real nice exercises about Sweep. thats another good place to check. BTW Rock Discipline covers everything, doesnt it? :D

Kanqin
07-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Strumming? Hybrid Picking? Jazz soloing? Usa of dynamics? Odd grupings? Riffing?

Rock Disipline is good, but people seems to over rate it. Maybe because all other instructional videos sucks

(ok, this message wasn't really important)

Unhorizon
07-11-2004, 02:53 AM
Yeah, while Rock Discipline was good, I had higher hopes for it after all the hype I heard about it.

z88
07-11-2004, 05:20 AM
I bought Rock Discipline but never got around to doing all the exercises. I don't have enough time. If you look at any guitar video, lesson, or whatever, most of the lessons are the exact same. For speed, everyone suggest practicing chromatic scales, alternating positions, so forth so on. Anything available on video is available here.

NicG
07-11-2004, 10:52 AM
I suggest to check

Frank Gambale - Monster Lick And Sweep Picking
This video covers everything about sweeping
from scales to arpeggios (of course)

sean_wong
07-14-2004, 10:37 AM
I think the DVD by Joe Stump on sweeping picking arpeggios is good also.

Jergason
08-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Advanced Modern Rock Guitar Improvization (can't remember the author, there is a feature about it on Ibreathe) is the best guitar book I have ever owned. It is short and simple at first glace, but there is enough materiel in it to keep me occupied for years. I like it because it focuses a lot more on sound then on technique.