PDA

View Full Version : Little lick for a ii-V-I in "ALl the Things you Are"

Unhorizon
07-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Hey guys I made up a little lick for "All The Things YOu Are" for one of the ii-V-I's in the song. I'm just wondering how you guys think it will sound ( I can't record anything). Anyway the progression is Dmin7 (2 beats), G7 (2 beats), then Cmaj7. What I do is play G# at the 11th fret on the A string up to an A# then B all over the Dmin7, then I go up to a C# then D# over the G7, then resolve to C over the Cmaj7. My thinking is that I am playing the tritones of the ii and V chord which will create an "out" sound then resolve to C. DO you think this is a good lick?

szulc
07-13-2004, 03:15 AM
What I do is play G# at the 11th fret on the A string up to an A# then B all over the Dmin7, then I go up to a C# then D# over the G7, then resolve to C over the Cmaj7. My thinking is that I am playing the tritones of the ii and V chord which will create an "out" sound then resolve to C. So you are playing G#(#4) over Dm7 then A# (#5) then B (6) then C# (#4) and D# (#5) over G7 then C over CM7.
I believe the #4 and #5 are going to 'work' better over the G7 than the Dm7. If you are implying Altered harmony.