PDA

View Full Version : counting 'different' triplets

lycanthrope
07-18-2004, 09:24 AM
ok - maybe ive been misguided all my life.

But ive always known a triplet to be any 3 groups of notes, counted as ONE beat.

ie 3 quavers grouped as triplets are counted "one and ah two and ah"
with the accents falling on the 'one....two....three'

etc...

now i don't know if this is true, but its worked -
but what about 'quarter note triplets' ...[ie three quarter notes grouped as triplets' ...

i found that if i count them "one and ah two and ah" with the accents falling on the "ah" i can get them to groove. [im not sure if this is correct - but i got powertab to play them back to me and thats how i counted them]

ok...BUT
what about 3 minums grouped as triplets? or how about a semibrieve and a crotchet [which ive begun seeing in a few standards lately].

its kind of got me thinking that maybe a triplet isn't about grouping things into one single beat...and im thinking maybe ive been misguided.

so to sum - someone clear this up for me, in as much detail as possible.

thank you
yon.

edit: could someone also please explain to me how to group notes? what is the common practice - how does one tell how certain notes should be grouped....or is this asking a real mouthful?

Dommy
07-18-2004, 03:33 PM
I believe its fitting 3 notes of the same type of value into where two would fit.

An eighth-note triplet fits into where two eighth notes would fit(1 beat in this case), and a quarter-note triplet fits into where two quarter notes would be(2 beats, halfnote). I hope that clarifies, I believe the same thing works for other tuplets and other triplets of different length.

Half-note triplets? Three notes (4 beats).

Blastrid
07-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Notes are grouped by division of a beat. So, however many notes are being played during the first beat should be barred together if they are 8th+, etc. I hope that makes sense...

From what I've learned:
There's duple and triple. Almost all meters can be broken down into these. A triplet is a group of 3 notes in duple time over the next largest note value. They instead of breaking the note value in half, they break it into thirds.
So, 3 eighth notes (triplet) = 1 quarter
3 16th notes (triplet) = 1 eighth, etc... Even more tricky is when they go 'over the bar', so to speak, or involve rests or further subdivision... ayayay.

To practice this, when I'm walkin around to class or whatever, I do with my hands 3 over 2.
Tap your right hand on the desk in a triple meter: 1 2 3 ...
Tap your left hand on the desk in duple: 1 2
Have each '1' hit at the same time.