PDA

View Full Version : Sightreading Notated chords

Axe-aholic
07-20-2004, 06:55 PM
I got this book, "Reading studies for guitar', from Berklee Press. It';s a good book, but there's no commentary, just studies.

I can sight read the melody lines ok, even in some of the harder keys, but they throw 6-note chords at you pretty quickly. So I was wondering if anyone had some tips of how to sight read notated chords. I can never seem to get them perfect and one time. Should I look for traids and then build the extensions or should I read top to bottom or bottom to top or what?

Priest Becker
07-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Well im no expert on chords(you know that from the last thread lol) but I would say that if you figure out what triad the bottom three notes are it should be fairly easy to figure out what the top triad would be or vice versa. If not then sorry i couldnt help but i tried :p .

xenor
07-20-2004, 08:26 PM
I know that book.. I practice from that too and it's a real beneficial book.
for chord reading, try them at half-time first. That way you will be relaxed. If you remember; the book says "the speed isn't neccessery" at the beginning.

DanF
07-20-2004, 08:53 PM
When you are reading notated chords usually it's the highest note that is most important (Just ask Tommy Tedesco, the king :P). The reason being that often a composer/arranger will put the melody note as the top voice of the chord. So Tommy's advice (in his book which has been out of print for a few years) is to start from the top note and read down.

-Dan

rmuscat
07-20-2004, 10:59 PM
hey one question ...
i still am at the beginning of the book ... i can't help much with chords but maybe someone can help me with this ...

I'm in the key of E MAJOR (4 sharps - F#, C#, G# and D#) and i meet a B# what do i play? do i play a B# (C) or a B## (C#) ...

hope you don't mind i post here but problem is from the same book

thanks

Dommy
07-21-2004, 12:52 AM
Play a C, because C is sharped.

rmuscat
07-21-2004, 07:32 AM
thanks dommy