PDA

View Full Version : Micing drums...

-Mm-
11-09-2002, 11:08 PM
I need some help with micing drums, and getting the best result. I have 3 mics, SM 57, SM 58, and Rodes NT2 (not sure if this one will be useful). Help with the positioning of the mics and what mic to use where would be much appreciated :D Thanks.

Alex

RM II
11-11-2002, 12:02 PM
I know very little about this but I can tell you a couple things.

The SM-57 is a good all around mic and would work well for the snare and toms. You can use them for the whole kit if you had to and the cymbals as well but you're better off going with some type of condenser mic for the cymbals since you can pick up the sound they produce much better with one of those.

A mic designed to pick up lower frequencies produced by the floor toms and kick drums are the way to go. For example, the SM-57 has a frequency response of 40 - 15,000 Hz while the Shure Beta 52 (designed for bass) starts out capturing frequencies in the 20's.

The mics you mentioned will work but you're sacrificing some of the natural sound produced. You can often use one mic for two toms or one mic for the snare and high hat.

Place a pillow inside the kick drums and place a mic inside the sound hole provided in the head. Experiment with positioning for all the mics you use. Good luck.

-Mm-
11-12-2002, 03:57 AM
Thanks, I know what u mean with the SM 57, and i think it might be used for the bass drum a bit as well. If anyone else offers some advice i am recording it into an Roland 8 Track recorder.