PDA

View Full Version : Sweep Picking

Apprentice
07-26-2004, 08:28 PM
I can play a few sweeps but would like to know how to form the notes that make up a sweep? Do you just pick a note from a scale for each string and sweep across it, or are they like arpeggios, except you sweep the pick across it?

Thanks in advance, I love sweep picking but I want to have my own instead of playing the ones I found in exercises.

wild_child
07-26-2004, 09:02 PM
they ARE arpeggios!
the most simple way of working out an arp to sweep is imagine an open chord's shape, moved up 12 frets (i.e. one octave) therefore any open strings would be played on the 12th fret, and the rest 12 frets higher.

once you're competant with that, you can add in hammerons to other notes within the sweep to give different feels. There's a lot more theory behind it than that, but this is just the basics.

i made a powertab as an example for an A major arp:

Bizarro
07-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Many people use arpeggios as the basis of their sweep licks.

It is generally cooler to play something more advanced than an Am arpeggio over an Am chord. You might try sequence a few things together, like play a C major and E minor arpeggio over an Am minor. Record yourself doing this and find things that you think sound good.

BTW, I picked C major and E minor because C is the 3rd of the Am chord, and E is the 5th of the Am chord.

You should check out the articles on sweeping. Eric Vandenberg has some incredible information in his articles that should really help you out!

Welcome to ibreathemusic! :)

Apprentice
07-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys. I should have said I've been playing about 8 months now so I have some grasp on the ability to play sweeps. I just didnt know how exactly to form/create one. I guess thats the side-effect from learning strictly by intrsuctional books without dwelling into how these things are put together.

I'll go look at those articles now, I just went and tested/played chords I knew, and it sounded good.

Summary of what I've learned thus far: Start with your basic open chord at twelth fret, and then, if you want to make it sound hotter you can toss in some hammer-ons and pull-offs?

theox
07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Summary of what I've learned thus far: Start with your basic open chord at twelth fret, and then, if you want to make it sound hotter you can toss in some hammer-ons and pull-offs?
You're a quick learner. Just keep experimenting. Basic major and minor chords. Add 7ths, 9ths etc. Hammer 'em, tap 'em, pick 'em, everything you can think of. All over the fretboard. Keep doing good!

Unhorizon
07-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but do NOT let each note of the sweep ring together, like a chord. The thing that make it a sweep is each note is seperate from the others. You have to mute each string as you pass it. This make sweeping(for me) that much tougher.

Apprentice
07-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Thanks everyone.

Is there anything else I should know? I've been messing around with the open chords and turning them into sweep-arpeggios and all, but I dont want to be confined to be playing that far up the neck all the time.

I'm just going to guess that you can use barre chords and make them into sweep-arpeggios to? I dont know, I could be wrong. I'm going to re-read the articles now because I might have missed something that might better explain.

BornToShred
07-28-2004, 06:41 AM
I've been messing around with the open chords and turning them into sweep-arpeggios and all, but I dont want to be confined to be playing that far up the neck all the time.

I'm just going to guess that you can use barre chords and make them into sweep-arpeggios to? I dont know, I could be wrong. I'm going to re-read the articles now because I might have missed something that might better explain.
You don't have to play them in the 12th position all the time.
You can play sweeps anywhere on the fretboard and on any strings. Try 3-, 4-, 5- and 6-string sweeps. Try playing in different positions and with different fingerings.

Unhorizon
07-28-2004, 01:44 PM
You don't have to use only conventional arpeggios. If you're always playing the same arpeggios, try changing a note or two, this way you get a different sound.

I recommend if you're playing a minor arpeggio to tap a major 7 on your way up. For example, if you're doing a 3 string sweep of a B minor arpeggio (11th fret G string, 12th fret B string, 10th fret E string, 14th fret E string), after you've hit the 14th fret on the E string tap the 18th fret then come back down.

This gives the arpeggio really cool sound (minmaj7 is my favorite chord). Tapping high notes is great for covering even more ground then with just sweeping.

Guitardeth
07-28-2004, 11:53 PM
A good way to start exercise your arpeggios is to play the most common arpeggio-modes chromaticly up and down the neck:

Minor:

e|--------1--6--1--------------2--7--2-------------3--7--3---------
B|-----2-----------2--------3-----------3--------4-----------4------
G|--3-----------------3--4-----------------4--5-----------------5---etc.
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------

Major:

e|-------1-4-1---------2-5-2---------3-6-3----------4-7-4----------
B|-----2-------2-----3-------3-----4--------4-----5--------5---etc.-
G|--1------------1-2-----------2-3------------3-4------------4------

diminished:

e|-------1--4--1--------------2--5--2------------3--6--3-------------
B|-----3----------3--------4-----------4-------5----------5-----etc.-
G|--4----------------4--5----------------5--6----------------6-------

Also, read the article (as someone mentioned) about arpeggios, sweeps etc.

Good Luck!

Jamie FT
08-05-2004, 06:35 PM
I didn't want to start another thread for this so I'll ask it here, Do u dampen the strings as soon as u've fretted a note in a sweep, and with which hand?

Also First post! :D Woo! Been thinking of joining this forum for a while as i'm on many others but it seems nice here!

forgottenking2
08-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Alright! Welcome to IBM!

In regards to your question: You dampen the string with both your left and your right hand (It's kinda hard to explain without actually showing it to you) but it's kinda like how you would control noise with your right hand when alternate picking and to that you add the slight lifting of the left hand fingers right after you play each note... I know this is not veyr clear but I really don't know how else to explain it.

Eric V. has an awesome article on Sweep Picking (he actually has 2) with examples pictures and everything, check the article section and see how you like it.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jamie FT
08-05-2004, 08:10 PM
thanks i'll check them out!