PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Chicks

LIChick
08-25-2004, 01:10 PM
I know the "official thread" was closed, but I HAD to offer my 2 cents.

This is not a guitar singles forum, as we agreed...

I'm a Chick--My name here is LIChick (Long Island, NY and The Dixie Chicks)
I'm NOT your typical guitar player.
I've been happily married for 13 years and have 2 sons.
My hobbies are very domestic and Martha Stewart-ish.

Technically, I can't even say that I PLAY the guitar, but rather, I'm learning to play or studying guitar.

So playing the guitar is WAY different for me and I'm having FUN.
I've been at it for a full year now and have done Ok for what I put into it. I'm happy and proud that it was not a passing phase.
I'm NEVER going to be playing for anyone other than myself and maybe my kids as I make up songs: "Cookies and Milk" (a full 3 chords to that one!). (a surefire hit, for the under 2 crowd)

So I'm in a complete minority and feel completely comfortable here. I've never put down, made to feel second rate or made to feel that I don't belong.

Most of the stuff discussed here pertains to rock and electric guitar. Much of it is over my head. That's why I don't post that much.

I must always commend the members who are always respectful and supportive and PATIENT when I do post very simplistic questions.

Black_the_Sky
08-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Good stuff Chicky :) Keep asking the basics.. it's the foundation everythings built on :)

Gotta say I lub the chicks too.. course you'd never know that when I'm blasting Kings X or Metallica outa my car stereo but a guys gotta be well rounded in his musical tastes i say :p

shred4Him
08-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Even the greatest of guitarists had to figure out how to play an E chord when they first strated. The nice thing about guitar is that you can take it as far as you want to and stop where you are happy.

Wannabe
08-30-2004, 05:49 AM
Hey LIChick,

I too am just learning how to play(and a girl, not that it really makes a difference when it comes to one's ability to learn music :)), and I think I probably bite of more than I can chew when it comes to picking songs to learn lol :) But I enjoy it and it's interesting :rolleyes: Horse riding is my main interest and while I don't have full time work guitar gives me something else to do and is something I don't plan on ever giving away.

And you're right, I've never been made to feel second rate here either, quite the opposite really :)

Catcha round,

Ange

sugarbee
08-30-2004, 11:44 PM
hey LIchick,

cool post, nice to have one of us speak up, it can feel full of testosterone in here sometimes, (but hey, ya gotta love that:D) and I agree that this is an awesome place which is why I continue to come back here. Like you, a lot of the theory stuff is over my head, but I'm slowly starting to reincorporate theory back into my playing and in that sense this site has been really useful and helpful. And I'm glad you have asserted yourself as a "chick" problem I happen to be fond of the word and have no problem using it.
I think there are a lot of us atypical guitar players in here, and I think it's very cool, especially since we have so much to learn and there's such a wealth of fabulous players in here, but also since I believe we also have plenty of input to give. What else can I say, we rock! ;)

as does IBM!

C-major
08-31-2004, 08:52 AM
I gotta say, thumbs up to you LIchick! there aren't a lot of people with a household who still havthe courage and energy left to start something completely new! And as for the fac you're not playing like everyone elseis even more amazing. Last but not least, thank god your not carrying that 'oo i'm a girl (or woman) who can kick your *** cuz i play guitar!!' keep it up!

i shal kneeleth with deep respect for thee:)

bye