PDA

View Full Version : Just thought I'd give my thougths about my "gig" last night.

DracWell
11-21-2002, 04:42 PM
Hi...

I thought I'd write down some of my thoughts about the gig I hade in school with my ensemble group last night. This is my third performance ever, wich is pretty strange since I've been in a band for the last 6 years. Oh well.

I remember the first gig, I was so nervous I was shaking all the time, fumbled when I got up on stage and thought I was about to collapse. Now, yesterday, no shaking when I got up. I just had a little buzz in my tummy, but that's pretty normal. Then when it got time for a solo my hands started shaking and I missed strings etc. Directly after I was in such a bad mood 'cause of that. Later on my guitar teacher (who assisted us on stage since our 2nd guitarist was sick) gave me some feedbak. He basically told my I looked very cool and laid back when I played, wich is a big improvement. Then I told him about everything, the shaking on the solos and he just said "Well, you're making a big progress anyway, soon you can even start to look out into the crowd and just have fun". God, that was so nice to hear and today I feel perfectly alright with the gig.

The biggest point should be that most people come around with the really hard stagefright sometime. Atleast I am, although I think I'll have to go through almost the same thing when I start singing on stage.

I just long for that moment when I just have fun on stage and can play as good as I do at home. Those shakings can really mess up your playing.

The hardest about this gig was that most of the people who was watching was from my side of the school where we study music. It's pretty hard to play infront of those guys 'cause you really can feel that they are disecting everything you do.

Oh well. Back to my guitar now.

PS. I should start my own gig-diary just to see my progress and learn from the mistakes that will come. DS.

EricV
11-21-2002, 05:30 PM
Hi there,

thanks for sharing that gig-review.
Your teacher is right. Something like missing a few notes during a solo on stage arenīt that bad. Itīs very tough to overcome stage-fright and nervousness. Itīs part of the whole thing.

As long as you are relaxed and people see that youīre enjoying it, having fun, itīs fine, IMHO.
Of course you could sit down on a stool, with your face about 2 inches away from the fretboard, playing extremely accurate, but that kinda omits the performance-part.
I think people can tolerate a few wrong notes as long as the people on stage are giving them a good show, displaying some stage-presence.
After all, itīs live. Even people who have been playing live for many years have to deal with a certain anxiety before a live-show, they just are used to dealing with it.
After a few more shows, itīll be a bit easier for you, and once you develop a certain confidence about your playing and the way you act and move on stage, youīll have even more stage-presence and most likely play a bit more accurate too.

And a gig--diary is a cool idea, too
Eric

RM II
11-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Stage presence. Performance. Putting on a good show. I believe that is the key. Yes, you want to play accurately and with little or no mistakes but rock and roll is all about having fun. Nervousness does play a part in performing in front of people but even the best of 'em can get nervous.

If you were playing serious, straightforward classical pieces. sitting and concentrating on the playing aspect could be understandable. But we ain't talkin' classical!:D

Bongo Boy
11-24-2002, 10:53 PM
I've never performed, and likely never will. But I've heard a lot of perfomers make a lot of 'mistakes', and can't remember it ever bothering me. Listening to someone sing who simply can't is very difficult, but even then, it's not as distracting as a performer who is profusely and repeatedly apologizing for errors. That's about the only thing that kind of spoils a performance.

My only recommendation (from a Listener's point of view) is, don't do it--it's far more distracting than the little problems. A few months ago The WHo was having a very difficult time breathing at their Denver show due to the altitude...both Daltry and the lead guitar guy :) acknowledged ONCE that they were having a tough time--they almost had to, it was pretty obvious. But that was humorous, tasteful, and we all got on with the show. Sure, they're seasoned pros, but it seems like a good rule to me for everyone.

Schooligo
11-29-2002, 12:12 AM
People percieve learning & performing music as "easy" but lessons in life are not typically "easy"!

"The hardest about this gig was that most of the people who was watching was from my side of the school where we study music. It's pretty hard to play infront of those guys 'cause you really can feel that they are disecting everything you do".

Been there,
It gets real "hot" in a room where students & peers of the instrument, are watching your every movement, disecting everything you do, & listening with a very discerning ear.

1st off Well done, it takes a lot of courage to perform under these circumstances!!

Hopefully you learn from Life, what I've learned that may be helpful:

1. Be Prepared- in every possible way, (This increases Confidence!)

a. Physical Technique, Musical Knowledge & Applied Theory, etc.

b. Performance-perform as often as the opportunity presents itself & seek out Performance opportunities

c. Familiarty with each individual Song, the more familiar you are with the song, exercise, or whatever- likely the more confidence you will have when Performing, Recording, etc.

2. Practice makes "Better"

3. Never let them see you Sweat!

a. People are not perfect, they will make mistakes, try to minimalize the mistake, & learn from it.

4. Life is 10% of what happens to you, & 90% of what you make it!

"big improvement. Then I told him about everything, the shaking on the solos and he just said "Well, you're making a big progress anyway, soon you can even start to look out into the crowd and just have fun". God, that was so nice to hear and today I feel perfectly alright with the gig."
You coped with this experience very positively!

5. Have Fun!!!! i.e. Life is to be joyful!

BTW: The advisors at this Forum(as well as members) are very Knowledgeable, impart great advice, & are excellent musicians, many of these Forum threads have excellent Tips to Further any Musical desire! I feel Honored to be able to post on this Forum!!

I hope this is helpful